- 2 Tablespoons (30 mm) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 (114 g) medium yellow onion, 4 ounces, peeled and roughly chopped
- 3 pounds (1.3 kg) ripe tomatoes, cored and roughly chopped
- ½ cup (110 g) packed dark brown sugar
- ¼ cup (60 ml) cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- ½ teaspoon celery salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- In a large saucepan with a heavy bottom, add the olive oil and heat over medium low heat.
- Add the chopped onions and cook, stirring, until the onions are soft but not brown, about 10 minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes (including all juice and seeds), brown sugar, vinegar, salt, dry mustard, celery salt, garlic powder, ground cloves, and allspice to the onions. Stir well to combine.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid has evaporated, about 1 hour 15 minutes.
- Allow the mixture to cool for 20 minutes, then place into the Vitamix container and secure lid.
- Select Variable 1.
- Turn machine on and slowly increase speed to Variable 10, then to High.
- Blend for 30 seconds.
- Taste and add more salt if desired.
- Pour the mixture into an airtight container and keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks.
- Serve chilled or at room temperature.
This recipe has been written for the Vitamix 5200 with Standard 64-ounce container. If you are using a different Vitamix machine or container size, you may need to make adjustments to the Variable Speed, processing time, and/or ingredient quantities.