- 1 1/4 cups (300 ml) warm water
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1 Tablespoon honey (optional)
- 1 3/4 cups (350 g) whole kernel wheat or 2 1/2 cups (300 g) whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1 Tablespoon light olive or grapeseed oil (optional)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice (optional)
- Combine yeast, honey, and 1 1/4 cups (300 ml) warm water and set aside to proof, about 5 minutes.
- When starting with whole kernel wheat: Place wheat, and if desired, salt into the Vitamix Dry Grains Container and secure lid. Select Variable 1. Turn machine on and slowly increase speed to Variable 10, then to High. Grind wheat for 1 minute. (Do not over process) Stop the machine and allow the flour to cool for a few minutes.
- When starting with whole wheat flour: Place flour and, if desired, salt into the Vitamix Dry Grains or Standard Container and secure lid.
- Select Variable 1.
- Turn machine on and slowly increase speed to Variable 6. Blend until a hole forms in the center of the mixture, about 5 seconds. Turn machine off and remove the lid.
- Pour oil, lemon juice, and yeast mixture into the hole in the flour. Secure the lid.
- To mix the dough, turn the machine on High for 1 second. Stop the machine. Remove lid.
- While the dough rests, lightly coat a loaf pan with vegetable cooking spray or shortening.
- To knead dough, two steps are required:
Step 1: Use a nylon spatula to scrape the sides of the container. Pull the dough away from the container sides and into the center of the mixture.
Step 2: With the switch on High, quickly turn the machine on and off five times.
- Repeat the above two-step process five times, or until the dough binds together in a soft elastic mixture.
- To remove the dough from the container, turn the machine on and off five times (to lift the dough up and away from the blades). Invert the container over the prepared pan and let the dough fall into the pan. Use a wet nylon spatula to remove any remaining dough.
- Use a wet (or oiled) nylon spatula to shape the loaf. Allow the dough to rise until the top of it reaches the top of the pan, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Bake at 350˚F for 35 minutes. Makes one loaf.
This recipe has been written for the Vitamix 5200 with Standard 64-ounce container. If you are using a different Vitamix machine or container size, you may need to make adjustments to the Variable Speed, processing time, and/or ingredient quantities.