Almond or Cashew Milk
- 3 cups (720 ml) water
- 1 cup (140 g) raw almonds (soaked overnight), or cashews
- Sugar or sweetener, to taste (optional)
- Place all ingredients into the Vitamix container in the order listed and secure lid.
- Select Variable 1.
- Turn machine on and slowly increase speed to Variable 10, then to High.
- Blend for 45 seconds or until desired consistency is reached.
- Store in refrigerator. Shake well before using.
If you desire to strain away sediment, place a fine mesh sieve or filtration bag over a large bowl. Pour almond milk slowly into sieve and allow to filter through, or stir the milk in the sieve with a spatula to encourage it to pass through more rapidly. Do not strain if using cashews. *Note: Almond Milk is high in fiber only if it's not strained.
how long does the almond milk keep?
Are the nutritional facts without straining out the solids that remain? If so, I assume that might address ppax's question as you can factor out the values associated with the amount of almond meal (well squeezed!) that is strained out.
Any suggestions for lowering the calories, aside from the obvious of adding more water? I am wondering if there is a method to assist with lowering the fat content?
Do the raw almonds need to be soaked overnight?
I just wanted to add to my earlier question the comment that I used my almond milk mostly for smoothies and do want to keep the calorie count a little lower - I use a 4:1 ratio (4 cups of water to 1 cup of almonds) and it is still creamy and delicious.
|Serving Size||1 c ( 240 ml )|
|Amount Per Servings|
|Total Fat||16 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||7 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|