Apricot-Ancho Barbecue Glaze
- 6 strips bacon, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups (196 g) small dice yellow onion
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) ketchup
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) orange juice
- 3/4 cup (166 g) packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) malt vinegar
- 2 ancho chiles, diced
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup (242 g) canned, drained apricots or fresh
- Sauté the bacon in a large sauté pan over medium heat until almost crisp, about 4 minutes. Add the onions and sauté until browned, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté until aromatic, about 1 minute
- Add all the remaining ingredients. Simmer until the apricots are very soft, about 10 minutes. Taste the sauce and season with additional salt and pepper, if needed.
- Transfer sauce to Vitamix container and secure lid.
- Select Variable 1.
- Turn machine on and slowly increase speed to Variable 10, then to High.
- Blend for 30 seconds, until relatively smooth.
- The glaze is ready to use, or it can be cooled and stored in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to a week.
This recipe has been written for the C-Series machines with Variable Speed control and Standard 64-ounce container. If you are using a different Vitamix machine or container size, you may need to make adjustments to the Variable Speed, processing time, and/or ingredient quantities.
Malt vinegar....gluten free? Malt is derived from barley....barley is Glutenous. I have none in my home to check the label, but just wondering since you listed it as gluten free. ( I am gluten intolerant.....not on the fad diet thing).
Lois, as with any disease contact your doctor if you have questions on ingredients before you use them. There have been some articles about the process of making malt vinegar and how it breaks down the gluten, very interesting read. I would recommend looking those up and always be in contact with your doctor.
Date published: 2015-10-14
|Serving Size||2 tbsp ( 30 ml )|
|Amount Per Servings|
|Total Fat||2.5 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||10 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|