Apricot Brown Rice Cereal
Combine sweet apricots with heart-healthy whole grains in this complete breakfast.
- 1 cup (190 g) brown rice, uncooked
- 3 1/2 cups (840 ml) water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 dried apricots
- 2 Tablespoons (17 g) sunflower seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- Place brown rice into the Vitamix DRY BLADE container and secure lid.
- Select Variable 1.
- Turn machine on and slowly increase speed to Variable 7 or 8.
- Grind to desired degree of fineness, about 10 seconds. If a finer cereal is desired, grind longer.
- In a saucepan, heat salted water to boiling. Slowly add cracked rice to boiling water, stirring constantly with a wire whisk.
- Reduce temperature to low, cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring frequently.
- While rice is cooking, chop apricots in the Vitamix container. Secure lid and remove the lid plug.
- Select Variable 1.
- Turn machine on and slowly increase speed to Variable 5 or 6. While machine is running, drop apricots through the lid plug opening until roughly chopped.
- Turn the stove off and add chopped apricots, sunflower seeds and almond extract to the cooked cereal, stir. Cover and let stand for an additional 5 minutes.
This recipe has been written for the C-Series machines with Variable Speed control and Standard 64-ounce container. If you are using a different Vitamix machine or container size, you may need to make adjustments to the Variable Speed, processing time, and/or ingredient quantities.
|Serving Size||1 c ( 230 g )|
|Amount Per Servings|
|Total Fat||2 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||46 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|
I only have the container that came with my vitamix blender (purchased at Costco). Can I use it to crack brown rice to try some cereal? The recipe specifies a "dry blade container". What is the dif?
The blade is a different design in the dry grains container. It is not suggested to blend dry ingredients in your wet/ regular container. You may see some marring/ etching on the container if trying this in the wet container.
Date published: 2016-07-19