Black Bean Soup
- 3 cups (720 ml) low sodium vegetable stock
- 1 1/2 cups (360 g) canned, drained and rinsed black beans (1/2 beans reserved)
- 1 1/2 cups (360 g) canned, drained and rinsed chickpeas (1/2 chickpeas reserved)
- 1/2 cup (80 g) chopped onion, sautéed
- 3 garlic cloves, roasted
- 3 Tablespoons (45 ml) lime juice
- 1 (10 g) jalapeño pepper, seeded
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup (37 g) coarsely chopped red pepper
- 1/4 cup (37 g) coarsely chopped yellow pepper
- 1/4 cup (25 g) chopped scallions, garnish
- Place vegetable stock, beans, chickpeas, onion, garlic, lime juice, jalapeño pepper, and seasonings into the Vitamix container in the order listed and secure lid.
- Select Variable 1.
- Turn machine on and slowly increase speed to Variable 10, then to High.
- Blend for 6-7 minutes or until heavy steam escapes from the vented lid.
- Reduce speed to Variable 4 and remove the lid plug. Add peppers and reserved beans through the lid plug opening.
- Blend for additional 10 seconds. Serve immediately.
This recipe has been written for the C-Series machines with Variable Speed control and Standard 64-ounce container. If you are using a different Vitamix machine or container size, you may need to make adjustments to the Variable Speed, processing time, and/or ingredient quantities.
Can you substitute more black beans for the chickpeas? we are "new" to Vitamin and someone told me to never adjust the recipes
More black beans can be substituted for chickpeas.
Date published: 2016-01-14
The soup came out a little too "foamy". I have had this problem with other soup recipes. Should I add more broth? Is this typical of these thicker soups?
The "foamy"ness comes from the speed of the blade creating air in the soup. A trick to help decrease the foam is to use 1-2 tablespoons of flaxseed.
Date published: 2015-10-30
No instruction to heat but shows that steam should escape? peppers not reserved but shown added later? Black beans and chickpeas reserved but not added later? recipe very incomplete.
The Vitamix heats the soup by the friction of the blade and the length of time that you blend. So the 6 and a half minute blending time will heat your soup to a nice soup temperature. After the soup has been heated the instructions tell you to add the peppers and the rest of the beans through the lid plug and blend an additional 15 seconds.
Date published: 2015-11-06
|Serving Size||1 c ( 240 ml )|
|Amount Per Servings|
|Total Fat||1 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||19 g|
|Dietary Fiber||5 g|