Blackberry Five Spice Sauce
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) apple cider vinegar
- 3 cups (430 g) blackberries, fresh or frozen
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
- 6 whole black peppercorns
- 1/4 cup (50 g) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) olive oil
- Place vinegar, blackberries, cinnamon, spices, and sugar into the Vitamix container in the order listed and secure lid.
- Select Variable 1.
- Turn machine on and slowly increase speed to Variable 10, then to High.
- Blend for 5-6 minutes until heavy steam escapes from the vented lid.
- Reduce speed to Variable 5 and remove the lid plug.
- Pour olive oil through the lid plug opening. Blend an additional 20 seconds
Serve with grilled pork tenderloin, chicken or duck. Chinese five-spice sauce can be found in the Asian foods section of better grocers.
This recipe has been written for the C-Series machines with Variable Speed control and Standard 64-ounce container. If you are using a different Vitamix machine or container size, you may need to make adjustments to the Variable Speed, processing time, and/or ingredient quantities.
I just purchased a Vitamix for a friend, and we made a smoothie that included blackberries. After bragging about how Vitamix puréed everything, I was embarrassed that the smoothie was full of blackberry seeds. Is this usual? Or a faulty machine?
When blending with blackberries or other seeded fruit you may have to adjust the time of the blend. Try blending for at least a minute and the seeds should be completely pulverised.
Date published: 2015-12-31
|Serving Size||0.25 c ( 60 ml )|
|Amount Per Servings|
|Total Fat||11 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||9 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|