Cabbage Salad with Currants, Spiced Pumpkin Seeds and Apple Cashew Vinaigrette
A delightful assortment of texture and a great use of autumn’s freshest ingredients.
- For the Salad:
- 2 cups (140 g) grated green cabbage
- 1 cup (89 g) grated red cabbage
- 1 cup (70 g) grated savoy cabbage
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and grated
- 1 medium red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup (36 g) dried currants, divided use
- 2 Tablespoons (30 g) roasted, spiced pumpkin seeds (see note)
- 2 Tablespoons (15 g) raw sunflower seeds
- 1 apple, cored, grated
- 1/4 cup (15 g) chopped parsley
- For the Vinaigrette:
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) unsweetened soy, hemp or almond milk
- 1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 apple, halved, seeded
- 1/3 cup (37 g) raw cashews
- 1 Tablespoon dried currants
- 2 Tablespoons (18 g) unhulled sesame seeds
- Mix all salad ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Place all salad dressing ingredients into the Vitamix container in the order listed and secure lid.
- Select Variable 1.
- Turn machine on and slowly increase speed to Variable 10, then to High.
- Blend for 30 seconds or until smooth and creamy.
- Toss with salad. Let marinate overnight in the refrigerator for a softer and more flavorful dish.
To make roasted, spiced pumpkin seeds, combine 2 cups raw pumpkin seeds, 3 Tablespoons cashew butter, 1/2 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar, 1 Tablespoon tomato sauce, and a pinch each: chipotle powder, cayenne pepper, cinnamon, and cumin. Bake for 5 hours at 105 degrees F. Save extra roasted spiced pumpkin seeds for another use.