Endive Salad with Roasted Pears, Hazelnuts, & Blue Cheese
Chef Kathy Casey’s signature salad with tangy cranberry vinaigrette, served at her Dish D’Lish Cafés.
- 2 unpeeled ripe pears, firm
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 head baby frisée
- 2 heads Belgian endive
- 1 small head radicchio, sliced (about 2 cups)
- 4 cups (80 g) cups baby arugula
- Dish D’Lish Cranberry Vinaigrette (see recipe)
- 1/2 cup (68 g) crumbled blue cheese
- 2/3 cup (40 g) dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup (58 g) hazelnuts, toasted, skinned, and coarsely chopped
- To roast the pears: Preheat oven to 500°F (260˚C). Core, then cut crosswise into 1-inch (2.5 cm) pieces
- Whisk the remaining ingredients in a large bowl, then gently toss the pears in the mixture.
- Spread the pears on a rimmed baking sheet lightly sprayed with vegetable-oil cooking spray and roast for 7 to 10 minutes, or until lightly caramelized.
- Place the roasted pears in the Vitamix container and secure lid.
- Select Variable 1.
- Turn machine on and slowly increase speed to Variable 10, then to High.
- Blend for 6-7 minutes or until heavy steam escapes from the vented lid.
- Prepare Dish D'Lish Cranberry Vinaigrette (see recipe)
- Cut the root end and about 1-inch (2.5 cm) of the top off the frisée.
- Rinse the frisée thoroughly, separate the head into leaves, and spin dry.
- Cut the stem ends off the endive, halve the heads lengthwise, then cut lengthwise into thin strips.
- Toss the frisée and endive in a large, deep bowl with the remaining greens and about 1/2 cup (120 ml) of the vinaigrette.
- Divide the greens among large dinner plates. Top each salad with pears, cheese, cranberries, and hazelnuts, dividing evenly. Pass additional dressing.
Note: You can make the pears up to 1 day in advance. If you do, cool them thoroughly before refrigerating, then bring to room temperature about 1 hour before serving.
Recipe for vinagrette not available. Don't understand----are you blending some of the pears and reserving some not blended for the salad. Recipe confusing.
I am confused about the pears. Do you roast them, then blend them in Vitamix as stated?
|Serving Size||1 serving|
|Amount Per Servings|