Fresh Ginger Pound Cake
- 2 1/4 cups (360 g) whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (120 g) plain low fat yogurt
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) soy milk or low fat milk
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) egg substitute or 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup (170 g) heart-healthy butter spread
- 1 cup (200 g) granulated sugar
- 1-inch x 1/2-inch (2.5 cm x 1.3 cm other) strip of lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh ginger root or Ginger Paste (see recipe)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Lightly coat a 9-inch x 5-inch (23cm x 13cm) loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a medium-size mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Place remaining ingredients into the Vitamix container in the order listed and secure lid.
- Select Variable 1.
- Turn machine on and slowly increase speed to Variable 10, then to High.
- Blend for 45 seconds.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry and mix by hand until thoroughly combined.
- Pour into prepared loaf pan and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
Use 2 cups (400 g) of wheat berries in place of whole wheat flour. Grind berries into flour using a Vitamix Dry blade container for 1 minute on High prior to using in recipe.
This recipe has been written for the C-Series machines with Variable Speed control and Standard 64-ounce container. If you are using a different Vitamix machine or container size, you may need to make adjustments to the Variable Speed, processing time, and/or ingredient quantities.