Fresh Tomato Sauce
The Vitamix chops and purees fresh tomatoes and herbs into a classic Italian sauce.
- 6 medium Roma tomatoes, quartered or 4 cups (665 g, 23.5 oz) chopped
- 1 small onion, peeled, halved or about 1/3 cup (48 g, 1.7 oz) chopped
- 1 small carrot, halved or about 1/3 cup (51 g, 1.8 oz) chopped
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Place all ingredients into the Vitamix container in the order listed and secure lid.
- Select Variable 1.
- Turn machine on and slowly increase speed to Variable 10, then to High.
- Blend for 1 minute, using the tamper to press the ingredients into the blades.
- Pour into a saucepan. Simmer for 35-40 minutes. Serve over pasta.
This recipe has been written for the C-Series machines with Variable Speed control and Standard 64-ounce container. If you are using a different Vitamix machine or container size, you may need to make adjustments to the Variable Speed, processing time, and/or ingredient quantities.
Fresh Tomato Sauce is rated out of 5 by 4.
Rated 3 out of 5 by mom2ian from Great basic sauce Tried this for dinner tonight. The recipe makes a great foundation for whatever your tastes may be. I like a basic sauce that I can tweak to both my kids and husbands tastes.
Date published: 2015-12-15
Rated 2 out of 5 by mmsansone from Taste fine, but no better than a jar of sauce. This is a very basic recipe. While it's not bad, it's not great either. For the cost of the ingredients you could purchase a good jar of sauce.
Date published: 2016-03-21
Rated 5 out of 5 by Jack17 from So great! Used 5 Roma tomatoes and 1 shallot due to using what I had in the house. Turned out excellent. I honestly couldn't believe how easy it was
Date published: 2016-01-03
Rated 5 out of 5 by joanski from Stellar This was the first recipe I made after my initial purchase approximately one year ago.
Date published: 2016-03-30
How long can this be refrigerated? Can it be frozen and if o, for how long?
You should refrigerate for 7-10 days. If you were looking to freeze this you should use it within 3-6 months.
Date published: 2016-06-08
How do I make this recipe with small frozen Roma tomatoes?
Allow the tomatoes to thaw and then follow the instructions.
Date published: 2016-03-15
Can this be canned as is? I see lemon juice which is normally required for canning but not sure if it was enough. Thanks!
When canning we recommend to get the latest on proper procedures from usda.gov. This is a great resource for all canning questions.
Date published: 2016-05-03
Do I peel the tomatoes before chopping?
No, you do not need to peel the tomatoes prior to chopping. Hope you enjoy the recipe!
Date published: 2015-10-30
|Serving Size||0.25 c ( 60 ml )|
|Amount Per Servings|