Our version of this Middle-Eastern dip contains chickpeas, garlic, and raw sesame seeds. It's traditionally served with flatbread, but crackers and tortilla chips are great, too.
- 15 ounces canned chick peas (garbanzos), drained
- 15 ounces canned chick peas (garbanzos), with liquid
- 0.25 cup (35 g) raw sesame seeds
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt, to taste
- Place chick peas, sesame seeds, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, and cumin into the Vitamix container in the order listed and secure lid.
- Select Variable 1.
- Turn machine on and slowly increase speed to Variable 10, then to High.
- Blend 1 minute, using the tamper to push the ingredients into the blades.
- Season to taste with salt.
I make my own chickpeas. How many cups of chickpeas equal 2 cans?
Can any Vitamix model make hummus, or is there a recommended model?
If you use dry chickpeas that have been soaked, approx. how much of the cooking water should be added to the recipe?
How long will this remain fresh if refrigerated?
I've been making hummus in my Vitamix with sesame seeds instead of tahini for quite some time. I lightly toast my seeds before processing. Is that okay?
do you also add water? I did put them as suggested. It was so tight and the blender had hard time.
May I use Tahini in place of sesame seeds?
Sesame seeds with hull or no hull?
|Serving Size||0.25 c ( 60 g )|
|Amount Per Servings|
|Total Fat||3 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||15 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|