Jalapeño Corn Bread
- To make wheat flour and corn meal: 2 cup (384 g) hard winter wheat berries
- 2 cups (200 g) popcorn kernels
- 1 cup (120 g) whole wheat flour
- 1 cup (122 g) corn meal
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup (240 ml) milk
- 3 Tablespoons (45 ml) vegetable oil
- 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) honey
- 1 red jalapeño, seeded
- 1 green jalapeño, seeded
- To make wheat flour and corn meal, place 2 cups of wheat berries into the dry blade Vitamix container and secure lid.
- Select Variable 1.
- Turn machine on and slowly increase speed to Variable 10, then to High.
- Blend for 30 seconds. Measure out 1 cup.
- Repeat above steps with 2 cups of popcorn kernels. Store leftover wheat flour and cornmeal in a sealed container.
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Spray an 8-inch x 8-inch baking pan or muffin tins with cooking spray.
- Combine 1 cup wheat flour, 1 cup cornmeal, baking powder and salt in a large bowl and mix well.
- Place eggs, milk, oil, and honey into the Standard Container and secure lid.
- Select Variable 1.
- Turn machine on and slowly increase speed to Variable 7.
- Blend for 10 seconds.
- Reduce speed to Variable 3 and remove the lid plug.
- Add jalapeños through the lid opening. Blend for 10-15 seconds.
- Pour wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix together by hand.
- Pour batter into prepared pan or muffin tin. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes.
Flour must always be at room temperature to make bread, so if coming from freezer or refrigerator, spread on sheet trays to bring to room temp.
This recipe has been written for the C-Series machines with Variable Speed control and Standard 64-ounce container. If you are using a different Vitamix machine or container size, you may need to make adjustments to the Variable Speed, processing time, and/or ingredient quantities.
Step 8 says to use the dry container......I didn't think liquids were to be put in the dry container....should the instructions actually say to use the wet container?
Yes that should say wet container (standard container). Thanks for letting us know, we have updated this recipe!
Date published: 2015-10-12
I have the professional series 300. Can I grind wheat berries in my vitimax or do I need a dry container for grinding.
|Serving Size||1 square or muffin|
|Amount Per Servings|
|Total Fat||5 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||21 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|