Jalapeño Corn Bread
Red and green jalapeños add spicy zest to this traditional corn bread recipe. The perfect companion to chili or black bean soup.
- To make wheat flour and corn meal: 2 cup (384 g) hard winter wheat berries
- 2 cups (200 g) popcorn kernels
- 1 cup (120 g) whole wheat flour
- 1 cup (122 g) corn meal
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup (240 ml) milk
- 3 Tablespoons (45 ml) vegetable oil
- 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) honey
- 1 red jalapeño, seeded
- 1 green jalapeño, seeded
- To make wheat flour and corn meal, place 2 cups of wheat berries into the dry blade Vitamix container and secure lid.
- Select Variable 1.
- Turn machine on and slowly increase speed to Variable 10, then to High.
- Blend for 30 seconds. Measure out 1 cup.
- Repeat above steps with 2 cups of popcorn kernels. Store leftover wheat flour and cornmeal in a sealed container.
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Spray an 8-inch x 8-inch baking pan or muffin tins with cooking spray.
- Combine 1 cup wheat flour, 1 cup cornmeal, baking powder and salt in a large bowl and mix well.
- Place eggs, milk, oil, and honey into the Standard Container and secure lid.
- Select Variable 1.
- Turn machine on and slowly increase speed to Variable 7.
- Blend for 10 seconds.
- Reduce speed to Variable 3 and remove the lid plug.
- Add jalapeños through the lid opening. Blend for 10-15 seconds.
- Pour wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix together by hand.
- Pour batter into prepared pan or muffin tin. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes.
Flour must always be at room temperature to make bread, so if coming from freezer or refrigerator, spread on sheet trays to bring to room temp.
I need to eat gluten free. can you show some more gf recipes?
I have the professional series 300. Can I grind wheat berries in my vitimax or do I need a dry container for grinding.
Step 8 says to use the dry container......I didn't think liquids were to be put in the dry container....should the instructions actually say to use the wet container?
|Serving Size||1 square or muffin|
|Amount Per Servings|
|Total Fat||5 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||21 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|