Japanese Miso-Shiitake Soup
- 3 cups (227 g) shiitake or oyster mushrooms, sliced
- 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) soy sauce, preferably nama shoyu
- 1/2-1 cup (120-240 ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 3 Tablespoons (52 g) miso, white or brown
- 1 x 1 inch (2.5 x 2.5 cm) cube fresh ginger root, peeled
- 1 (3 g) garlic clove, peeled
- 3 cups (720 ml) water
- 1 (15 g) scallion, chopped
- Marinate mushrooms in soy sauce and 3 Tablespoons (45 ml) olive oil. Set aside to marinate.
- Place miso, remaining olive oil, ginger, garlic, and water into the Vitamix container in the order listed and secure lid.
- Select Variable 1.
- Turn machine on and slowly increase speed to Variable 10, then to High.
- Blend for 30 seconds.
- To serve, pour soup base into four bowls. Top each with marinated mushrooms and chopped scallions.
Soup base with toppings will keep for one day. Soup base will keep for four days, and toppings will keep for two days in the fridge when stored separately. This recipe can be reduced by half and made in smaller containers.
This recipe has been written for the C-Series machines with Variable Speed control and Standard 64-ounce container. If you are using a different Vitamix machine or container size, you may need to make adjustments to the Variable Speed, processing time, and/or ingredient quantities.
Does the water need to be boiling? or is this a coold soup?
This recipe is a cold soup, but could be made with hot water or blending for 5-6 minutes to heat.
Date published: 2015-11-13
|Serving Size||1 c ( 240 ml )|
|Amount Per Servings|
|Total Fat||39 g|
|Saturated Fat||5 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||6 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|