Macaroni with Cheese Sauce
Rich, creamy cheese sauce and crumb topping make this classic dish a family favorite.
- 2 cups (210 g) elbow macaroni, uncooked
- ¼ cup (30 g) all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup + 1 teaspoon (60 g) light butter spread
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1⅓ cup (320 ml) skim milk
- 1 cup (115 g) cheddar cheese, cubed
- 2 slices bread
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅛ teaspoon dried oregano
- ⅛ teaspoon dried minced onion
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Cook macaroni as directed on package. Drain.
- Spray an 8-inch x 8-inch (20 cm X 20 cm) baking dish with vegetable cooking spray then add macaroni to dish.
- Place butter, flour, salt, and milk into the Vitamix container in the order listed and secure lid.
- Select Variable 1.
- Turn machine on and slowly increase speed to Variable 10, then to High.
- Blend for 3-4 minutes or until heavy steam escapes through the lid opening. As mixture thickens, it will not splash as much.
- Remove the lid plug and add cheese through the lid opening.
- Blend for 1 minute.
- Pour over macaroni and mix thoroughly.
- Cover macaroni with bread crumb mixture and bake until top is golden brown, about 30 minutes.
- To make crumb topping, toast 2 pieces of bread and squeeze each piece into a ball.
- Select Variable 1.
- Turn machine on and slowly increase speed to Variable 4.
- Remove the lid plug.
- Drop each bread ball through the lid plug opening.
- Blend until you have crumbs. Add seasonings to the crumbs.
|Serving Size||1 cup (240 ml)|
|Amount Per Servings|
|Total Fat||7 g|
|Saturated Fat||3 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||43 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|
Macaroni with Cheese Sauce is rated out of 5 by 4.
Rated 5 out of 5 by LeAnne from Crowd pleaser I make this almost every Saturday night and once for a church fellowship meal. I use farm rasied eggs and raw milk in this because it's what's available to me. I like using New York Sharp cheddar cheese in this. Also have use smoked Gouda and Swiss cheese. At the church meal, I didn't bring any leftovers home.
Date published: 2016-12-03
Rated 4 out of 5 by Bethie from Nice & creamy. I made this last night and it turned out very good; definitely will make it again. Next time, though, I will add 1-1/2 cups of milk to make it just a little more creamier. Plus, to save time, I keep homemade bread crumbs in the freezer for use in recipes like this; bread crumbs which I always make in my Vitamix.
Date published: 2016-09-21
Rated 4 out of 5 by Bethie from Macaroni and Cheese This is my go to dish, although I would tweek it just a little. Use 1-1/2 cups macaroni instead of the 2 and up the milk to 1-1/2 cups. Other than that, It sure does save time not having to stand over the stove stirring the sauce and hope it won't burn.. Great for a quick Saturday night supper with hot dogs.
Date published: 2016-11-08
Rated 5 out of 5 by JudyA from Who Knew Made Mac and Cheese tonight and it was easy to assemble. The clean up is amazing. This was my first attempt to make anything but smoothies but I'll be doing more different recipes in the future.
Date published: 2017-05-07
How should I grate cheese in the vitamix?
Here is a video to help you with this issue, https://www.vitamix.com/why-vitamix/what-you-can-make#foodprep
Date published: 2016-11-17
I just made this Macaroni and Cheese this evening. My only question is the part where cheese is added. Do you keep the machine running on high when adding the cheese or drop the high to low and just use one of the variables?
You will want to stay on ten/high when adding cheese to the mixture.
Date published: 2016-09-20
What can I use as a substitute for cheese? Also, what are the best stock cubes to buy that are low in sodium/msg?
I do not understand what you mean when trying to substitute for cheese, could you please explain further. All cheese manufactures have different recipes please reference their nutritional labels to find the lowest in sodium and msg.
Date published: 2016-07-10