Macaroni with Cheese Sauce
Rich, creamy cheese sauce and crumb topping make this classic dish a family favorite.
- 2 cups (210 g) elbow macaroni, uncooked
- 1/4 cup (30 g) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (60 g) plus 1 teaspoon light butter spread, divided use
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/3 cups (320 ml) skim milk
- 1 cup (115 g) cubed American cheese or yellow cheese
- Crumb Topping 2: slices bread, white or wheat
- dash black pepper
- dash garlic powder
- dash oregano
- dash dried minced onion
- dash cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Cook macaroni as directed on package. Drain.
- Spray an 8-inch x 8-inch (20 cm X 20 cm) baking dish with vegetable cooking spray then add macaroni to dish.
- Place butter, flour, salt, and milk into the Vitamix container in the order listed and secure lid.
- Select Variable 1.
- Turn machine on and slowly increase speed to Variable 10, then to High.
- Blend for 3-4 minutes or until heavy steam escapes through the lid opening. As mixture thickens, it will not splash as much.
- Remove the lid plug and add cheese through the lid opening.
- Blend for 1 minute.
- Pour over macaroni and mix thoroughly.
- Cover macaroni with bread crumb mixture and bake until top is golden brown, about 30 minutes.
- To make crumb topping, toast 2 pieces of bread and squeeze each piece into a ball.
- Select Variable 1.
- Turn machine on and slowly increase speed to Variable 4.
- Remove the lid plug.
- Drop each bread ball through the lid plug opening.
- Blend until you have crumbs. Add seasonings to the crumbs.
This recipe has been written for the C-Series machines with Variable Speed control and Standard 64-ounce container. If you are using a different Vitamix machine or container size, you may need to make adjustments to the Variable Speed, processing time, and/or ingredient quantities.
What can I use as a substitute for cheese? Also, what are the best stock cubes to buy that are low in sodium/msg?
I do not understand what you mean when trying to substitute for cheese, could you please explain further. All cheese manufactures have different recipes please reference their nutritional labels to find the lowest in sodium and msg.
Date published: 2015-11-18
|Serving Size||1 c ( 240 ml )|
|Amount Per Servings|
|Total Fat||7 g|
|Saturated Fat||3 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||43 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|