- 3/4 cup (180 ml) warm water, 105°F-115°F (40°C-46°C)
- 1/4 cup (55 g) brown sugar, packed
- 1 package (1 Tablespoon) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup (30 g) whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup (62 g) unbleached, all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups (205 g) bread (high gluten) flour
- Pinch of salt
- 1 large egg mixed with 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) water (for brushing dough before baking)
- Kosher salt
- To proof the yeast, combine warm water, brown sugar, and yeast. Stir slowly to combine. Set aside for 5 minutes.
- Place flours and salt into the Vitamix Dry Grains Container and secure lid.
- Select Variable 1.
- Turn machine on and slowly increase speed to Variable 6.
- Blend until a hole forms in the center of the flour mixture, about 5 seconds. Turn off machine.
- Select Variable 3. Turn machine on and remove the lid plug. Add the yeast mixture through the lid plug opening. Stop machine and replace lid plug.
- Select High speed. Turn machine On and Off two times. Stop machine and remove lid.
- While dough rests, lightly coat a baking sheet with vegetable cooking spray or shortening.
- Use a wet nylon spatula to scrape the sides of the container, pulling the dough away from the container sides and into the center of the mixture. Replace lid.
- Select High speed. Turn the machine On and Off five times. Add additional water, 1 Tablespoon at a time, only if dough seems exceptionally dry.
- Repeat process five times, scraping the sides of the container until the dough binds together into a soft, elastic mixture.
- With the lid on the container, let the dough rise until doubled in size, about 15 minutes.
- Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface and divide into 12 pieces.
- With your palms, roll each piece to form a rope about 12-inches to 18-inches (30 cm-46 cm) long. Loop into an oval, twist the ends together and gently press the ends to the top side of the oval.
- Whisk together the egg and water. Slowly and gently brush the egg mixture on each pretzel shape, and then sprinkle with kosher salt.
- Bake in a heated 450°F (230°C) oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until crispy and lightly browned. Best when served warm.
This recipe has been written for the C-Series machines with Variable Speed control and Standard 64-ounce container. If you are using a different Vitamix machine or container size, you may need to make adjustments to the Variable Speed, processing time, and/or ingredient quantities.
Soft Pretzels is rated out of 5 by 1.
Rated 5 out of 5 by Kenaid from Great Tasting Soft Pretzels! This was not as easy as the other breads I've tried in the Whole Grains cookbook. When pulsing the dough, I had to add more than a few Tbsp. of water to get it to move and had to remove the dough and knead by hand. But, the problem was small in comparison to the reward of very tasty pretzels! There are only two of us in the house, and the recipe makes 12 pretzels. So I used some of the dough to make Pretzel Dogs, too! All in all a raving success. In spite of the hand kneading part, everything worked out perfectly, so I am still giving it 5 stars.
Date published: 2016-01-26
I'm wondering if I could use the vitamin to cream butter and sugar and then slowly add flour to the creamed butter and sugar in order to make shortbread?
Yes you can cream the butter and sugar. I would recommend pulsing in the flour on speed 3 so that you do not over mix the flour.
Date published: 2016-01-16
Between step seven and eight, how long should I let the dough rest?
This is meant to be a quick break of a minute or two, just long enough to prepare the baking sheet.
Date published: 2015-12-07
Can I use only all purpose flour instead of the other additional flours?
Using only all purpose flour will work but will not give you the same texture that the bread flour does.
Date published: 2015-12-01
In your soft pretzel, you started using the container for grinding the dry ingredients, however, you pour the proof yeast with liquid? I thought that is only specifically use for dry ingredients? There was no mention to change container. Confuse!!!
|Serving Size||1 pretzel|
|Amount Per Servings|
|Total Fat||1 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||23 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|