- 3/4 cup (180 ml) warm water, 105°F-115°F (40°C-46°C)
- 1/4 cup (55 g) brown sugar, packed
- 1 package (1 Tablespoon) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup (30 g) whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup (62 g) unbleached, all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups (205 g) bread (high gluten) flour
- Pinch of salt
- 1 large egg mixed with 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) water (for brushing dough before baking)
- Kosher salt
- To proof the yeast, combine warm water, brown sugar, and yeast. Stir slowly to combine. Set aside for 5 minutes.
- Place flours and salt into the Vitamix Dry Grains Container and secure lid.
- Select Variable 1.
- Turn machine on and slowly increase speed to Variable 6.
- Blend until a hole forms in the center of the flour mixture, about 5 seconds. Turn off machine.
- Select Variable 3. Turn machine on and remove the lid plug. Add the yeast mixture through the lid plug opening. Stop machine and replace lid plug.
- Select High speed. Turn machine On and Off two times. Stop machine and remove lid.
- While dough rests, lightly coat a baking sheet with vegetable cooking spray or shortening.
- Use a wet nylon spatula to scrape the sides of the container, pulling the dough away from the container sides and into the center of the mixture. Replace lid.
- Select High speed. Turn the machine On and Off five times. Add additional water, 1 Tablespoon at a time, only if dough seems exceptionally dry.
- Repeat process five times, scraping the sides of the container until the dough binds together into a soft, elastic mixture.
- With the lid on the container, let the dough rise until doubled in size, about 15 minutes.
- Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface and divide into 12 pieces.
- With your palms, roll each piece to form a rope about 12-inches to 18-inches (30 cm-46 cm) long. Loop into an oval, twist the ends together and gently press the ends to the top side of the oval.
- Whisk together the egg and water. Slowly and gently brush the egg mixture on each pretzel shape, and then sprinkle with kosher salt.
- Bake in a heated 450°F (230°C) oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until crispy and lightly browned. Best when served warm.
This recipe has been written for the C-Series machines with Variable Speed control and Standard 64-ounce container. If you are using a different Vitamix machine or container size, you may need to make adjustments to the Variable Speed, processing time, and/or ingredient quantities.
|Serving Size||1 pretzel|
|Amount Per Servings|
|Total Fat||1 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||23 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|