Sweet Potato Soup with Seared Tomatillos
- 4 Tablespoons (60 ml) grapeseed oil, divided use
- 1 pound (454 g) smoked pork bones or ham
- 1 pound (454 g) onions, peeled, diced medium
- 1 jalapeño, seeded, diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 4-inch (10 cm) cinnamon stick
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled, sliced
- 1/4 pound (113 g) poblano peppers, stemmed, seeded, diced
- 1 Tablespoon ground coriander seed
- 1 cup (240 ml) dry white wine
- 2 pounds (908 g) sweet potatoes, peeled, diced medium
- 7 cups (1.7 l) low sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- For Garnish:
- 1 1/2 pounds (680 g) small tomatillos, husks removed and cut in small wedges
- 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) grapeseed oil (remaining)
- 2 jalapeños, seeded, diced brunoise
- 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) lime juice
- 2 Tablespoons (25 g) sugar
- 1 cup (16 g) cilantro leaves, chopped coarsely
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Add oil to a medium-hot large stockpot, add the smoked pork bones and render for 3 minutes. Add the onions, jalapeño, bay leaves, cinnamon stick, garlic, and poblanos and sweat for 5 minutes.
- Add the coriander and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add the wine and reduce by two-thirds. Add potatoes and broth, salt and pepepr and bring to a boil. Simmer for 25-30 minutes until potatoes are very tender.
- Remove bay leaves, cinnamon stick and pork bones or ham. Set aside pork bones or ham. Let soup cool for 30 minutes.
- Add half the mixture to the Vitamix container and secure lid.
- Select Variable 1.
- Turn machine on and slowly increase speed to Variable 10, then High.
- Blend for 20 seconds until all ingredients are blended. Repeat with remaining mixture. If necessary, return to pot to heat.
- Heat a sauté pan until very hot. Toss the tomatillos with the oil, season with salt and pepper. Add to the pan and sear. Do not toss too much as you want to keep the pan hot. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add the jalapeños and cook for 30 seconds. Add the lime juice and sugar, cooking an additional 3 minutes. Remove to a plate for garnish.
- Divide tomatillos between 6 bowls. Sprinkle the cilantro leaves in the bowl. Ladle the hot soup over the leaves and around the tomatillos and serve. Remove meat from pork bones and dice brunoise. Garnish each bowl with the diced meat.
This recipe has been written for the C-Series machines with Variable Speed control and Standard 64-ounce container. If you are using a different Vitamix machine or container size, you may need to make adjustments to the Variable Speed, processing time, and/or ingredient quantities.