Thai Pumpkin Soup
- 1/2 large onion, peeled, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 Tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 1/4 cups (305 g) canned pumpkin
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh ginger root
- 1 garlic clove, peeled, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups (360 ml) chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) coconut cream
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) coconut milk
- 1/2 Tablespoon chopped green chilies
- 1/2 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of pepper
- Sauté onion in olive oil until soft. Add tomato paste, pumpkin, ginger, garlic, broth, coconut cream and coconut milk. Combine until thoroughly heated through.
- Place mixture, chilies, and lemon juice into the Vitamix container and secure lid.
- Select Variable 1.
- Turn machine on and slowly increase speed to variable 10, then to High.
- Blend for 2 1/2 minutes or until smooth.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Serve garnished with chopped cilantro, chopped peanuts, and sour cream or plain yogurt.
This recipe has been written for the C-Series machines with Variable Speed control and Standard 64-ounce container. If you are using a different Vitamix machine or container size, you may need to make adjustments to the Variable Speed, processing time, and/or ingredient quantities.
Thai Pumpkin Soup is rated out of 5 by 3.
Rated 5 out of 5 by Stevie Z from Amazing taste and texture! Using the Vitamin to chop the onion makes this recipe even easier and faster! In the Vitamix book it offers the alternative of adding additional coconut MILK instead of using the coconut cream, and as I found it difficult to find the cream I went with that instead. Also, if you can get and roast your own pumpkin (of the proper type) it makes this incredible recipe even THAT much better. We've made this a bunch of times. Heck, making this is as fast as going out to get something at a Drive-Thru!
Date published: 2015-11-07
Rated 5 out of 5 by wesesq from Thai Yum! I made this recipe from my Vitamix Savor recipe book which listed only coconut cream and not cream and coconut milk. Because it has quite a few ingredients, this is one of those recipes that takes much longer the first time making it, but making the soup will become easy with practice. The soup was delicious. Next time I will double the batch...
Date published: 2015-12-12
Rated 5 out of 5 by KDinhawaii from Tasty I substituted the green chili's with Thai basil. It was a good fit!
Date published: 2015-11-16
|Serving Size||1 cup ( 240 ml )|
|Amount Per Servings|
|Total Fat||12 g|
|Saturated Fat||9 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||25 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|