- 3 cups (720 ml) chicken, beef, or vegetable broth
- 1 Roma tomato, halved or about 1/2 cup chopped
- 1 carrot, halved or about 1/2 cup chopped
- 1 rib celery, halved or about 1/3 cup chopped
- 1 thin slice of onion, peeled or approximately 1 Tablespoon chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1 thin slice of yellow squash
- 1 thin slice of red bell pepper
- 1 thin slice of cabbage
- 1 mushroom
- 1 teaspoon taco seasoning
- Dash ground cumin
- Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- Optional Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup (70 g) cooked chicken breast
- 1/2 fresh jalapeño
- 1/4 cup olives, pitted
- 1/4 cup (50 g) canned corn, unsalted
- 2 ounces (60 g) tortilla chips
- Place broth, tomato, carrot, celery, onion, garlic, squash, bell pepper, cabbage, mushroom and seasonings into the Vitamix container in the order listed and secure lid.
- Select Variable 1.
- Turn machine on and slowly increase speed to Variable 10, then to High.
- Blend for 6-7 minutes or until steam escapes from the vented lid.
- If adding optional ingredients, reduce speed to Variable 2.
- Remove the lid plug.
- Drop in chicken, jalapeños, olives, corn, and chips.
- Blend for an additional 1-5 seconds.
This recipe has been written for the C-Series machines with Variable Speed control and Standard 64-ounce container. If you are using a different Vitamix machine or container size, you may need to make adjustments to the Variable Speed, processing time, and/or ingredient quantities.
Tortilla Soup is rated out of 5 by 5.
Rated 5 out of 5 by JennyW from Delicious! This soup is so good. I can’t believe this great of a tasting soup is only minutes to make in a vitamix. I did not use the taco seasoning… instead I used my Mexican spices like cilantro, chili powder, and Mexican oregano.
Date published: 2015-11-03
Rated 5 out of 5 by Santarp from Excellent and easy! Great recipe! One thing I end up doing is instead of adding chicken into the blender, I shred it with some last minute tortilla chips and then mix it in - only because I like a bit more texture!
Date published: 2015-11-08
Rated 5 out of 5 by SueO from The recipe that convinced me to buy a Vitamix This ever so simple soup is so tasty and wonderful it makes you look like you spent hours in the kitchen
Date published: 2015-12-05
Rated 5 out of 5 by Bonzee44 from Super easy! I continue to use the Vitamix daily for smoothies but had gotten away from the soups while we were out of our house during renovations. I watched the QVC presentation and got back on board with this recipe......delicious!
Date published: 2015-11-17
Rated 5 out of 5 by CSMD from A fabulous soup! Each and every time I make this soup, I receive such wonderful, positive comments - in fact they are so complimentary I end up telling them I made it in my vitamix just minutes before I served it - I haven't the heart to pretend it took me hours to prepare lol
Date published: 2015-10-27
hello I have a vita mix and I'm having problems making the tortilla soup. when I make it gets foamy. i am burping the taste of the soup for a day. how do I make the soup without having lots of foam, a little bit of foam is ok but not with lots of it
If you add a little flax seed to the soup the foam will settle down, or you can add more of the bean and other ingredients to create a thicker soup and this will bring the foam down.
Date published: 2016-01-19
I'm assuming that I'm supposed to cook most of these ingredients before placing them in the Vitamix container, but it doesn't say that anywhere.
The high speed and 6 minutes cooks the raw food, no pre cooking!
Date published: 2016-01-11
Is there a measurement that could be used in place of 1 thin slice? Thanks!
|Serving Size||1 c ( 240 ml )|
|Amount Per Servings|
|Total Fat||1 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||5 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|