Warm Crab Cakes
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 pound (113 g) white fish (cod, sole, pike)
- 4 Tablespoons (57 g) mayonnaise
- 2 Tablespoons (30 g) unsalted butter
- 2-4 ounces (60-120 ml) heavy cream
- 2 pounds (908 g) lump crabmeat
- 2 Tablespoons (6 g) chopped chives
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 cups (216 g) panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- Vegetable oil, as needed
- Place egg yolk, fish, mayonnaise, butter, and heavy cream into the Vitamix container in the order listed and secure lid.
- Select Variable 1.
- Turn on the machine and slowly increase speed to Variable 5.
- Blend for 20 seconds until smooth, using the tamper to press the ingredients into the blades. Stop the machine and scrape down the sides if necessary.
- Transfer mixture to a bowl and fold in crabmeat, chives, and lemon zest.
- Scoop 24 2-ounce balls of mixture and form into 1 1⁄2-inch x 2-inch (4 cm x 5 cm) disks. Place in refrigerator for 30 minutes to firm up.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Remove cakes from the refrigerator and dredge each of them in the breadcrumbs. Season with salt and pepper.
- Sauté in vegetable oil until golden brown on both sides. Transfer to a sheet pan and bake for approximately 12 minutes or until center is hot.
To properly test for seasoning, sauté a Tablespoon-sized crab cake.
This recipe has been written for the C-Series machines with Variable Speed control and Standard 64-ounce container. If you are using a different Vitamix machine or container size, you may need to make adjustments to the Variable Speed, processing time, and/or ingredient quantities.