Whole Wheat Bread
- 1 1/4 cups (300 ml) warm water
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1 Tablespoon honey (optional)
- 1 3/4 cups (350 g) whole kernel wheat or 2 1/2 cups (300 g) whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1 Tablespoon light olive or grapeseed oil (optional)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice (optional)
- Combine yeast, honey, and 1 1/4 cups (300 ml) warm water and set aside to proof, about 5 minutes.
- When starting with whole kernel wheat: Place wheat, and if desired, salt into the Vitamix Dry Grains Container and secure lid. Select Variable 1. Turn machine on and slowly increase speed to Variable 10, then to High. Grind wheat for 1 minute. (Do not over process) Stop the machine and allow the flour to cool for a few minutes.
- When starting with whole wheat flour: Place flour and, if desired, salt into the Vitamix Dry Grains or Standard Container and secure lid.
- Select Variable 1.
- Turn machine on and slowly increase speed to Variable 6. Blend until a hole forms in the center of the mixture, about 5 seconds. Turn machine off and remove the lid.
- Pour oil, lemon juice, and yeast mixture into the hole in the flour. Secure the lid.
- To mix the dough, turn the machine on High for 1 second. Stop the machine. Remove lid.
- While the dough rests, lightly coat a loaf pan with vegetable cooking spray or shortening.
- To knead dough, two steps are required:
- Step 1: Use a nylon spatula to scrape the sides of the container. Pull the dough away from the container sides and into the center of the mixture.
- Step 2: With the switch on High, quickly turn the machine on and off five times.
- Repeat the above two-step process five times, or until the dough binds together in a soft elastic mixture.
- To remove the dough from the container, turn the machine on and off five times (to lift the dough up and away from the blades). Invert the container over the prepared pan and let the dough fall into the pan. Use a wet nylon spatula to remove any remaining dough.
- Use a wet (or oiled) nylon spatula to shape the loaf. Allow the dough to rise until the top of it reaches the top of the pan, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Bake at 350˚F for 35 minutes. Makes one loaf.
This recipe has been written for the C-Series machines with Variable Speed control and Standard 64-ounce container. If you are using a different Vitamix machine or container size, you may need to make adjustments to the Variable Speed, processing time, and/or ingredient quantities.
I want to use wheat berry kernels in my bread. would this work wheat berry flour(after grinding) in place of whole wheat or white flour? can I use all wheat berries flour in bread recipe?
You can use all wheat berry flour in the recipe. It will make the dough more dense and will not rise as much as a white flour with whole wheat mix.
Date published: 2016-04-01
Can this bread be made in a two speed vitamix? What adjustments should be made to the recipe?
Yes it can. The biggest difference is to use your machine quickly. Turning having it on high and turning it on and off to simulate a pulse function. This will allow the dough ball to form and not over mix.
Date published: 2016-04-15
The pack of yeast says to only add 1/4 cup water? My dough was runny.
When working with breads there are a couple of easy steps to follow to help assure a good result. First it is best to weigh the flour by the gram rather than using a measuring cup. Second you can always add a little extra flour to a recipe to firm it up.
Date published: 2015-12-28
|Serving Size||1 slice|
|Amount Per Servings|