Winter Greens Soup
A smooth purée with a rustic flavor, blending kale, baby spinach, and zucchini with sautéed leek, celery, and garlic.
- 1 leek, trimmed, halved, sliced
- 1 stalk celery, 2 ounces (56 g), rough chop
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups (720 ml) vegetable broth
- 1 cup (240 ml) diced tomatoes, canned
- 2 cups (134 g) chopped kale
- 9 ounces (256 g) zucchini, halved, sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 ounces (85 g) fresh baby spinach
- 1/4 cup (15 g) Italian parsley or basil
- 1 1/2 - 2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Chopped tomato and fresh basil for garnish
- In a large saucepan, sauté leeks, celery, and garlic in oil over medium heat for 10 minutes. Stir in broth, tomatoes, kale, zucchini, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer covered, 5 minutes, stirring once. Remove from heat and let cool 30 minutes.
- Place half of the mixture into the Vitamix container and secure lid.
- Select Variable 1.
- Turn machine on and slowly increase speed to Variable 10, then to High.
- Blend for 30 to 40 seconds. Pour into saucepan.
- Repeat with remaining soup. After blending, remove lid and add in fresh spinach, parsley and vinegar. Secure lid.
- Select Variable 6.
- Use the On/Off switch to quickly pulse 5 times. Pour into saucepan containing other blended soup. Heat over medium-high heat for 5 minutes before serving.
Garnish with chopped tomatoes and basil.
This recipe has been written for the C-Series machines with Variable Speed control and Standard 64-ounce container. If you are using a different Vitamix machine or container size, you may need to make adjustments to the Variable Speed, processing time, and/or ingredient quantities.
Winter Greens Soup is rated out of 5 by 2.
Rated 4 out of 5 by MeganU from Pretty good, a tad too much vinegar I used 2 tbsp vinegar- should have opted for 1.5. I suggest adding a cooked potato or two for texture, but otherwise a yummy and healthy recipe. Easy to make in the Vitamix and as always, quick clean-up!
Date published: 2015-11-08
Rated 5 out of 5 by janissimo from Great summer soup too! I realize using chicken stock in place of vegetable stock has changed the flavor profile, but it's what I had in the pantry. I used fresh tomatoes in place of canned and chose the basil over parsley. Used 1 1/2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar as the previous reviewer recommended. The time to make this is longer than stated since the sautéed vegetables need to cool for 30 minutes before going into the Vitamix. Enjoyed it and will make it again.
Date published: 2016-08-03
|Serving Size||1 c ( 240 ml )|
|Amount Per Servings|