Winter Greens with Roasted Vegetable Vinaigrette
- For the Salad:
- 1 1/2 cups (180 ml) torn frisée
- 1 1/2 cups (60 g) torn radicchio
- 1 1/2 cups (15 g) torn arugula
- 1 1/2 cups (36 g) baby spinach leaves
- 12-18 Belgian endive spears
- 12 grilled red onion slices
- 3/4 cup (100 g) crumbled blue cheese
- 6 Tablespoons (50 g) toasted pine nuts
- For the Vinaigrette:
- 3/4 cup (52 g) chopped leeks
- 2/3 cup (98 g) chopped sweet peppers
- 2/3 cup (100 g) chopped onions
- 2/3 cup (100 g) chopped celery
- 1/2 cup (76 g) chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup (60 g) chopped zucchini
- 1/2 cup (60 g) chopped yellow squash
- 1/4 cup (44 g) small-dice tomatoes, peeled and seeded
- 5 Tablespoons (75 g) extra-virgin olive oil
- Vegetable broth, as needed
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1-2 teaspoons crushed black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 Tablespoons (10 g) chopped herbs (parsley, chives, tarragon, and/or chervil)
- Wash and dry frisée, radicchio, arugula, and spinach. Place in a bowl and toss together.
- Arrange the endive spears on a chilled platter or plates and top with the frisée mix. Garnish with the grilled onion slices, blue cheese, and the pine nuts.
- To make the vinaigrette, preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Toss vegetables in extra-virgin olive-oil, place on a baking sheet and roast in the oven until tender, 45-60 minutes.
- Transfer the warm vegetables to the Vitamix container and secure lid.
- Select Variable 1.
- Turn machine on and slowly increase speed to Variable 10, then High.
- Blend for 1 minute, or until liquified. The vegetables should yield 9 fluid ounces (270 milliliters) of roasted vegetable purée liquid. If they do not, add enough vegetable broth to equal 9 fluid ounces (270 milliliters).
- Add the remaining ingredients, except the herbs, to the Vitamix container and purée to evenly incorporate. Thin the consistency of the vinaigrette with vegetable broth, if necessary.
- Stir the herbs into the vinaigrette.
- Drizzle the warm dressing over the salad platter.
Chef's Tip: Combine the vinaigrette with leftover pasta, rice, or potatoes for a quick-to-prepare side dish.
This recipe has been written for the Vitamix 5200 with Standard 64-ounce container. If you are using a different Vitamix machine or container size, you may need to make adjustments to the Variable Speed, processing time, and/or ingredient quantities.