Gooseberry, Turmeric and Pistachio Frangipane Tart
With a shortcrust pastry, gooseberry compote, frangipane, and Crème fraîche to top, this is the perfect dessert or brunch treat.
- 310 g (2 cups) plain flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 130 g (½ cup) butter, chilled and diced
- 10 ml (2 teaspoons) ice water
- Preheat oven to 180°C (355°F). Sift flour and salt together into a bowl. Place half of the flour mixture and all of the butter into the Vitamix container and secure the lid. Select Variable 5 and Pulse 5 or 6 times until the texture is crumbly.
- Add remaining flour and iced water to the container and Pulse 3 or 4 times to mix, using the tamper to press the ingredients toward the blades.
- Turn the dough out onto the bench, making sure you scrape out any that is stuck to the sides. Working quickly, bring the dough together to form a ball, taking care not to overwork it or it will become tough. Wrap in cling film and refrigerate for about 30 minutes.
- Once chilled, roll the dough out and use it to line a 28cm (11-inch) loose-bottomed tart tin. Refrigerate again for 5 minutes, then remove from the fridge and line with tin foil. Fill with baking beads then blind bake until lightly golden, about 25 minutes.
- 270 g (1¾ cup) gooseberries
- 80 g (⅓ cup) honey
- To make the gooseberry compote, cook the gooseberries and honey in a pan over moderate heat for 5 minutes or so until the gooseberries are tender but have not completely collapsed. Set aside.
- 110 g (½ cup) butter, softened
- 100 g (¾ cup) almonds
- 115 g (1 cup) pistachios, shelled
- 50 g (¼ cup) caster sugar, or Date Syrup to taste
- 6 dates, pitted
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- Place all frangipane ingredients into the Vitamix container in the order listed and secure the lid. Select Variable 1. Start the machine and slowly increase speed to Variable 4. Blend for 1 minute. Scrape the frangipane out into the blind-baked tart shell and smooth out to create an even layer.
- Scatter the gooseberries over the frangipane, gently pushing them down into the surface. Save the leftover compote liquid.
- Bake the tart for about 30 minutes, or until the frangipane has set and is golden-brown. Remove from the oven, glaze with the reserved compote liquid and allow to cool.
Serve with lashings of crème fraîche.
|Serving Size||1 Slice|
|Amount Per Servings|