Vanilla Crumpets with Cinnamon Cream
This traditional English bread, surprisingly light and airy, is perfect when paired with cinnamon cream. Makes a great breakfast or brunch item that’s sure to please everyone, English or not.
- 240 ml (1 cup) milk, slightly warmed
- 30 ml (2 Tablespoons) agave nectar, or alternative sweetener
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 2 teaspoons fast-action dried yeast
- 60 g (½ cup) plain flour
- 100 g (1 cup) bread flour
- ¼ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 2 Tablespoons butter, melted
- 150 ml (⅔ cup) thickened cream
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- 1½ teaspoon icing sugar
- favorite jam, for serving
- Place warmed milk in a small bowl and add agave, vanilla bean paste, and yeast. Stir well and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Pour the milk mixture, all-purpose flour, and strong white flour into the Vitamix container in the order listed and secure the lid. Select the lowest setting. Start the machine, slowly increase speed to Variable 2, and remove the lid plug, using the tamper to press the ingredients into the blades. Blend for 20 to 25 seconds.
- Transfer batter to a large bowl and stir to make sure all flour is incorporated. Cover with plastic wrap and leave to rest in a warm place for 30 minutes, or until risen and quite bubbly.
- Mix bicarbonate of soda with 1 Tablespoon warm water. Add to the batter and stir. Cover again and leave in a warm place for 20 minutes.
- Using a paper towel, wipe a little melted butter on a large frying pan over medium heat. Thoroughly grease the inside of 4 crumpet or English muffin rings. Place the rings on the pan and once hot, pour 2 heaping Tablespoons of batter into each ring. Cook for 5 minutes. Bubbles should start to form and then pop. Carefully flip the crumpets in their rings and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove rings from the pan and leave to cool slightly before gently pushing out the cooked crumpets.
- Regrease the rings and heat again before repeating the process to cook the remaining crumpets.
- Add the cream, cinnamon, and icing sugar to the Vitamix container in the order listed and secure the lid. Select the lowest setting. Start the machine, slowly increase to its highest speed, and blend for about 20 seconds, or until whipped.
- Serve the crumpets warm with a dollop of cinnamon cream and a side of jam.
|Amount Per Servings|