Barley Beetroot Risotto
Barley replaces rice in this recipe, creating a flavorful, bright dish that’s best served with crumbled goat cheese.
- 1¼ l (4 cups) vegetable stock
- 30 ml (2 Tablespoons) extra virgin olive oil
- 28 g (2 Tablespoons) butter
- 200 g (1¼ cup) onion, peeled, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 3 beetroot, quartered
- 60 g (2 cups) spinach
- 300 g (1½ cup) barley, uncooked
- 120 ml (½ cup) white wine
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 60 g (½ cup) grated Parmesan cheese
- 120 g (½ cup) goat cheese
- Place onions and garlic into the Vitamix container.
- Add water to float ingredients above the blades.
- Turn machine on and off to pulse 8 to 10 times. Drain and set aside.
- Place 2 cups (480 ml) of the vegetable stock, beetroot and thyme into the Vitamix container in the order listed and secure lid.
- Select Variable 1.
- Turn machine on and slowly increase speed to the highest speed. Blend for 40 seconds.
- In a large sauce pan over high heat, add onions and garlic. Sauté until onions are translucent. Add spinach and sauté for 1 minute. Deglaze with white wine.
- Add barley and beetroot mixture. Cook over medium heat adding stock every 10 to 15 minutes until barley is fully cooked, about 45 minutes to an hour.
- Finish with parmesan cheese.
- Garnish with crumbled goat cheese.
Beetroot contains a group of phytonutrient called betalains; it's what gives red beets their colour. They are powerful antioxidants that also have detoxifying benefits.
|Serving Size||1 serving|
|Amount Per Servings|