Roasted Butternut Squash Soup with Honey Pecan Butter
A pat of Honey Pecan Butter brings out the natural sweetness of the squash for a delectable flavor.
- 1 butternut pumpkin, peeled, seeded, roasted
- 4½ teaspoon butter
- 1 rasher bacon, cooked, crumbled
- ½ onion, peeled, diced
- 720 ml (3 cups) chicken stock
- 60 ml (¼ cup) thickened cream
- 2 Tablespoons orange juice
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 1½ Tablespoon pecans, toasted and finely chopped
- ½ Tablespoon honey
- 1 other parsley, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375˚F (190˚C).
- Halve the squash and place it cut side down on an oiled baking sheet.
- Bake for 45-60 minutes or until the squash can be easily skewered. Cool 20 minutes. With a spoon, remove seeds and discard. Scrape the pulp and reserve. Discard peel.
- In a soup pot, melt 1½ teaspoons butter over medium heat. Add the bacon and onions and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until the onions are soft. Add the squash and stock. Simmer for 30 minutes or until the squash falls apart. Cool 20 minutes.
- Place 1/2 of the mixture into the Vitamix container and secure lid.
- Select Variable 1.
- Turn machine on and slowly increase speed to Variable 10, then to High.
- Blend for 2-3 minutes. Repeat for the remaining mixture.
- Strain into a clean soup pot and add the cream, orange juice, and nutmeg. Season with salt and pepper. Reheat as necessary.
- In a medium-size mixing bowl, mash together the remaining 3 teaspoons butter, pecans and honey. Roll butter in plastic wrap into a cylindrical shape 1-inch (2.5 cm) in diameter. Refrigerate until it is able to be sliced.
- Serve soup with a pat of butter.
If the soup is too thick, thin with additional water or stock.
|Serving Size||240 (1 cup)|
|Amount Per Servings|
|Total Fat||40 g|
|Saturated Fat||24 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||41 g|
|Dietary Fiber||8 g|
Roasted Butternut Squash Soup with Honey Pecan Butter is rated out of 5 by 10.
Rated 5 out of 5 by PamelaK from Best soup ever This has to be hands down the most delicious soup I've ever made. I substituted walnuts for pecans and all worked out perfectly. I may try it next time without the cream but I would not leave out the bacon. I also doubled the recipe to make for leftovers since everyone takes more than one serving. Not hard at all to make. Especially the pecan honey butter. I may use it for toast in the morning - I plan on making this a lot.
Date published: 2016-11-27
Rated 5 out of 5 by Tony from Brooklyn from MORE! MORE! I made this soup not expecting much. After all, I'm sort of a meat and potatoes man. I followed the recipe but prepared the bacon as a topping instead of blending it into the soup (to please my no-bacon-eating Honey). I tasted the soup. Then I shoveled the soup. The only criticism I have is that THERE WAS NOT ENOUGH FOR THIRDS OR FOURTHS. :)
Date published: 2017-02-12
Rated 5 out of 5 by Penpen from Simply delicious! I had a package of frozen Butternut Squash that had thawed out so I decided to try using it in place of the whole squash. I put the squash with all the other ingredients right into the Vitamix and processed it according to the directions.I did add a carrot and a tablespoon of flax seed while it was processing. It turned out terrific and without the additional steps and time of precooking the squash (although I did precook the bacon and saute the onion). This is another soup that I would definitely make again.
Date published: 2017-01-21
Rated 5 out of 5 by ABrooks from Delicious! I couldn't have enjoyed this recipe more! I didn't have any bacon, so I used bacon jam instead. I scooped a little on top at the end. I love this because it hits all the right notes you would want on a cold evening, a tad sweet, very savory, a bit of saltiness from the bacon. The soup setting on the Vitamix worked really well and eliminated the need to simmer on the stove top.
Date published: 2018-03-14
Rated 5 out of 5 by Jasegroe from Roasted Butternut Squash Soup! Yummm What a great soup that is so easy to make! I was a little worried going into it because of the difficulty rating but it turned out to be nice and easy! I did add an extra peice of bacon to it and 1 more cup of broth and it turned out so tasty. We are very happy with this soup. Thanks!!!
Date published: 2016-10-30
Rated 5 out of 5 by Maureen from Roasted butternut squash soup A little labor intensive but well worth it. Flavor is amazing!
Date published: 2015-10-30
Rated 5 out of 5 by DebiDew from Unbelievably, Insanely Delicious!! I don't even like butternut squash that much. I do eat it roasted as a side dish sometimes because it is a healthy alternative. I came across this recipe and decided to try it today. The recipe is somewhat labor-intensive but so, so worth the effort. The Vitamix, as always makes the final dish very silky smooth. The flavors are to die for. The only thing I changed (and the recipe does make this suggestion) was adding more broth to loosen the consistency. Thank you, Vitamix!
Date published: 2017-12-03
Rated 5 out of 5 by RayNtrish from Tasty good & love my new vitamix Modified a bit.....yummy aroma filled house. Enough for supper and lunch for two
Date published: 2017-11-21