Winter Greens Soup
A smooth puree of rustic winter vegetables is beautifully complimented by Cashew Sour Cream Sauce and Crispy Kale Chips.
- 1 leek, cleaned, sliced
- 100 g (1 stalk) celery, diced
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 720 ml (3 cups) low sodium vegetable stock
- 180 g (1 cup) tomatoes, diced
- 60 g (2 cups) kale, chopped
- 256 g (9 ounces) zucchini, halved, sliced
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 90 g (3 cups) spinach, fresh
- 15 g (¼ cup) Italian parsley leaves
- 2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
- In a large saucepan, sauté leeks, celery, and garlic in oil over medium heat for 10 minutes. Stir in broth, tomatoes, kale, zucchini, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer covered, 5 minutes, stirring once. Remove from heat and let cool 30 minutes.
- Place half of the mixture into the Vitamix container and secure lid.
- Select Variable 1.
- Turn machine on and slowly increase speed to Variable 10, then to High.
- Blend for 30 to 40 seconds. Pour into saucepan.
- Repeat with remaining soup. After blending, remove lid and add in fresh spinach, parsley and vinegar. Secure lid.
- Select Variable 6.
- Use the On/Off switch to quickly pulse 5 times. Pour into saucepan containing other blended soup. Heat over medium-high heat for 5 minutes before serving.
Cashew Sour Cream Sauce
- 125 g (1 cup) cashews, soaked 3 hours, rinsed, drained
- 120 ml (½ cup) water
- 45 ml (3 Tablespoons) lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ garlic clove
- ¼ shallot
- ground black pepper, to taste
- Drain soaked cashews and rinse thoroughly.
- Place all ingredients into the Vitamix container in the order listed and secure lid.
- Select Variable 1, start the machine, and slowly increase to its highest speed.
- Blend for 20 seconds, or until creamy and smooth.
- Add additional water to the sauce to give it to a thinner texture before serving with your soup. The sauce needs to be lighter than the soup to stay on top, otherwise it will sink to the bottom.
- 1 large bunch kale
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon Paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 180ºC (350ºF).
- Wash kale well and pat dry. Remove the stems and discard.
- Place kale leaves in a medium bowl, and coat with olive oil, sea salt and paprika.
- Lightly toss and spread on baking tray, making sure they don’t overlap. Monitor kale chips in the oven and flip every 5 minutes until crispy.
|Serving Size||240 (1 cup)|
|Amount Per Servings|
Winter Greens Soup is rated out of 5 by 5.
Rated 5 out of 5 by janice63 from Great summer soup too! I realize using chicken stock in place of vegetable stock has changed the flavor profile, but it's what I had in the pantry. I used fresh tomatoes in place of canned and chose the basil over parsley. Used 1 1/2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar as the previous reviewer recommended. The time to make this is longer than stated since the sautéed vegetables need to cool for 30 minutes before going into the Vitamix. Enjoyed it and will make it again.
Date published: 2016-08-03
Rated 4 out of 5 by MeganU from Pretty good, a tad too much vinegar I used 2 tbsp vinegar- should have opted for 1.5. I suggest adding a cooked potato or two for texture, but otherwise a yummy and healthy recipe. Easy to make in the Vitamix and as always, quick clean-up!
Date published: 2015-11-08
Rated 5 out of 5 by Katgirl from Sooo tasty! I thought this was so good! Bright, fresh, comforting. The only change I made was to add some leftover boiled potatoes (about a cup) while I was blending. My husband did NOT like it, but his tastes are not favorable to leafy greens, etc.
Date published: 2017-11-23
Rated 5 out of 5 by Doris from Surprisingly Good Good recipe - next time I will use a little less vinegar.
Date published: 2016-10-06
Rated 1 out of 5 by Question from Thought you cook in the Vitamix! This is only blended in the Vitamix..... cooked in a saucepan.... so one of my other 3 blenders could have done the job,
Date published: 2019-02-24
Due to inactivity, your session has timed out and is no longer active.Reload the page