Duck Breast with Root Vegetables and Beetroot Puree
- 1 beetroot, cooked, peeled, and cut into 8 pieces
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon caster sugar
- To begin, make the beetroot puree by adding the cut beets, olive oil, salt, and sugar to the Vitamix container in the order listed and secure the lid.
- Select Variable 1, start the machine, and slowly increase to its highest speed. Blend for 1 minute. Use a spatula to remove the puree to a bowl and set aside.
- 100 g (7 Tablespoons) Butter
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and sliced
- 4 baby golden beets, quartered
- 4 baby red beets
- 2 carrots, cut into batons
- 1 Rutabaga (Swede), cut into batons
- 1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 duck breasts
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 175°C (375°F).
- Add the butter to a large ovenproof sauté pan over high heat. Once foaming, add the thyme and garlic. Allow to pop for 5 seconds, then add the cut vegetables. Toss the vegetables with the vinegar in the sauté pan. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Allow to sauté for 3 to 4 minutes, then remove to a baking sheet and place in the oven. Cook for 35 to 40 minutes, until golden brown and tender.
- While the vegetables are cooking, season the duck breast with salt and pepper and sear in an ovenproof sauté pan over medium-low heat. Render the skin until golden-brown and crispy, about 6 to 8 minutes. Flip the duck over, and place in the oven for another 8 to 10 minutes, or until an inserted thermometer reads 60°C (125°F). Remove and let rest 10 minutes before carving.
- While the duck is resting, gently reheat the beet puree.
- fresh thyme leaves
- red vein sorrel
- To assemble the dish, spoon the puree onto plates, then arrange the vegetables and duck breast on top. Garnish with red vein sorrel and fresh thyme leaves.
|Serving Size||1 servings|
|Amount Per Servings|
Duck Breast with Root Vegetables and Beetroot Puree is rated out of 5 by 1.
Rated 5 out of 5 by Hicksie_dust from Stunning dish This is a dish that really impresses but is pretty easy to put together. I made it for some friends at the weekend and they were blown away by the flavour of the puree. Will be making this again.
Date published: 2017-10-13