Chocolate Crème Anglaise
Machine: Vita-Prep 3
Preparation: 10 minutes
Processing: 5 minutes 15 seconds
Yield: 4½ cups
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1½ cups (360 ml) half & half
- ¼ cup (30 g) unbleached all-purpose flour
- ½ cup (100 g) granulated sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter
- 6 ounces (170 g) bittersweet chocolate chunks
- 2 teaspoons instant espresso
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon plus ⅛ teaspoon chili powder
- Place egg yolks, half & half, flour, sugar, salt, vanilla, and butter into the Vitamix container in the order listed and secure lid.
- Select Variable 1.
- Start machine and slowly increase to its highest speed.
- Blend for 5 minutes.
- Reduce speed to Variable 3 and remove lid plug. Add chocolate, espresso, cinnamon, and chili powder to the container through the lid plug opening.
- Secure lid plug and slowly increase to blender’s highest speed. Blend for 15 seconds.
- Serve immediately or remove to a bowl and chill until cold.
Chef’s Note: This versatile anglaise can be used as a dessert sauce, pudding, or repurposed as a frozen dessert.