Cashew Cream of Mushroom
This vegan friendly version of a classic soup is sure to please your taste buds.
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil, optional
- 2 (275 g) medium yellow onion, peeled, cut into large chunks
- 1½ pound (680 g) mixed mushrooms, cleaned, halved
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme leaves
- kosher salt, to taste
- 1½ cup (200 g) raw cashews
- 6 cups (1.4 l) Vegetable Stock
- Heat a medium stock pot over medium-high heat. Once hot, add olive oil, onions, mushrooms, thyme and salt. Saute for 10-12 minutes until mushrooms are soft and onions are translucent. Add cashews and saute for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add the vegetable stock and bring to a simmer over medium-low heat. Simmer for 60-90 minutes.
- Place the immersion blender into the middle of the stockpot. Submerge the blender below the surface of the liquid, but above the bottom of the pot.
- Start the blender on its lowest speed, then quickly increase to its highest speed. Move the immersion blender around, including up and down, to blend the ingredients for approximately 1 minute or until desired consistency is achieved. Serve immediately, or cool in an ice bath and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Cashews give this typically heavy cream-based soup a new life with a lighter, vegan version. Try subbing cashews in any cream-based soup.
|Serving Size||1 servings (401 g)|
|Amount Per Servings|