Sorrel Fettuccine with Brown Shrimp Sauce
Learn how simple it is to make your own pasta dough with this recipe and finish it off with a delicious brown shrimp sauce.
Sorrel Pasta Dough
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 large egg
- 3 cups (90 g) sorrel leaves
- 1½ cup (200 g) bread flour
- 1 pinch salt
- Place the egg, egg yolk and blanched sorrel leaves into the Vitamix container in the order listed and secure the lid. Select Variable 1, start the machine and slowly increase to its highest speed. Once leaves have broken down into a purée, stop the machine and add the flour and salt. Pulse on Variable 8 until the dough starts to come together.
- Remove the lid, scrape down the sides of the container with a spatula, and add a little more flour if the dough looks too wet. Pulse a few times more and then empty out onto a clean, floured work surface.
- Knead the dough for 3 to 4 minutes until the dough becomes elastic and the shape bounces back when you prod it with your thumb. Wrap in cling film and leave to rest in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Once the dough has rested, roll out using a rolling pin (or using a pasta machine if you have one) until it reaches a thickness of ⅛ inch (2mm) (it's easier to handle if you do this in 2 batches).
- Cut the pasta into fettuccine strips around ¾ inch (6mm) wide. Make sure the pasta is dusted in flour so it doesn't all stick together. Place a pan of salted water over a high heat and bring to a boil.
Brown Shrimp Sauce
- 1 red chile, finely sliced
- ¼ cup (100 g) brown shrimp
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup (15 g) fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- salt, to taste
- To make the sauce, melt the butter in a pan and add the garlic and chile, cooking until softened. Add the shrimps and warm through gently.
- Cook the pasta in the boiling water – it will only take 2 – 3 minutes to cook, cooking in batches if necessary to avoid overcrowding the pan.
- Add lemon juice, chopped parsley and seasoning to the shrimps, drain the pasta and combine with the sauce. Serve warm with a sprinkling of lemon zest.
|Serving Size||1 serving|
|Amount Per Servings|