Don’t be fooled by the seasonal names; the categories of winter squash and summer squash actually have little to do with availability. Summer squash can be found throughout the winter, and winter squash is available in the fall. But even though we can enjoy squash almost year-round, gourds like pumpkins and sweet potatoes lend themselves perfectly to autumn-inspired recipes.
When deciding which gourd is the best fit for your dish, consider the individual characteristics of each variety. For example, acorn squash is popular for roasting and baking because of its thick rind, while the smooth texture of butternut squash makes it particularly delicious in soups.
From sprinkling roasted pumpkin seeds on your salad to using zucchini as a pasta substitute, there are lots of ways to incorporate squash into your autumn menu.
Try these 6 Squash recipes in your Vitamix machine:
- Acorn Squash Soup: Maple syrup, nutmeg and ground cinnamon add holiday flavor to this classic autumn soup. Garnish with roasted pumpkin seeds for even more holiday zest.
- Roasted Butternut Squash Soup with Honey Pecan Butter: A pat of Honey Pecan Butter brings out the natural sweetness of the squash for a delectable flavor.
- Butternut Squash Casserole: Enjoy the vegetarian version of this classic comfort—a light, sweet dish to utilize butternut squash throughout the season.
- Zucchini Pasta with Pomodoro Sauce: A raw tomato sauce with fresh flavors that marry well with the spiraled zucchini noodles.
- Pumpkin Pie Smoothie: With pumpkin, vanilla yogurt, and pumpkin pie spice, this smoothie tastes like the real thing! Top with whipped cream and a dust of cinnamon for a festive presentation.
- Autumn Sweet Potato Smoothie: The bright fall flavors of sweet potato, apple, cranberries, and ginger create this smooth, delicious alternative to apple cider.