Barley Beetroot Risotto
Barley replaces rice in this recipe, creating a flavorful, bright dish that’s best served with crumbled goat cheese.
- 4 cups (1¼ l) vegetable broth
- 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1¼ cup (200 g) onion, peeled, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 3 beets, quartered
- 2 cups (60 g) spinach
- 1½ cup (300 g) barley, uncooked
- ½ cup (120 ml) white wine
- 4 sprigs thyme
- ½ cup (60 g) grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ cup (120 g) goat cheese
- Place onions and garlic into the Vitamix container.
- Add water to float ingredients above the blades.
- Turn machine on and off to pulse 8 to 10 times. Drain and set aside.
- Place 2 cups (480 ml) of the vegetable broth, beet and thyme into the Vitamix container in the order listed and secure lid.
- Select Variable 1.
- Turn machine on and slowly increase speed to the highest speed. Blend for 40 seconds.
- In a large sauce pan over high heat, add onions and garlic. Sauté until onions are translucent. Add spinach and sauté for 1 minute. Deglaze with white wine.
- Add barley and beet mixture. Cook over medium heat adding broth every 10 to 15 minutes until barley is fully cooked, about 45 minutes to an hour.
- Finish with parmesan cheese.
- Garnish with crumbled goat cheese.
Beets contain a group of phytonutrient called betalains; it's what gives red beets their color. They are powerful antioxidants that also have detoxifying benefits.
|Serving Size||1 serving|
|Amount Per Servings|