Berry Sorbet with Mixed Spices
Nutmeg, cinnamon, allspice, and fresh mint complement a variety of berries in this sweet and refreshing sorbet.
- 3/4 cups (180 ml) cold water
- 1 piece (5 g) fresh ginger root, 1/4" slice
- 5 (75 g) Medjool dates, pitted, or honey to taste
- 1 cup (125 g) frozen strawberries
- 1 cup (125 g) frozen blueberries
- 1 cup (120 g) frozen blackberries
- 1 cup (90 g) frozen raspberries
- 2 cups (280 g) frozen dark sweet cherries, pitted
- 2 Tablespoons (5 g) mint leaves
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cloves
- ⅛ teaspoon ground allspice
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups (260 g) ice cubes
- Place ginger, water and dates into the Vitamix container and secure the lid. Start the blender on its lowest speed, then quickly increase to its highest speed. Blend for 15-20 seconds or until dates and ginger are finely chopped. Stop machine and remove the lid.
- Add berries, mint, cloves, allspice, nutmeg, cinnamon and vanilla to the container with ginger mixture and secure the lid.
- Start the blender on its lowest speed, then quickly increase to its highest speed. Blend for 45-60 seconds, using the tamper to press ingredients toward the blades.
- In about 30-60 seconds, the sound of the motor will change and four mounds should form. Stop the machine. Do not over mix or melting will occur. Serve immediately.
|Serving Size||1 serving (169 g)|
|Amount Per Servings|
|Total Fat||0 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||21 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|
Berry Sorbet with Mixed Spices is rated out of 5 by 18.
Rated 5 out of 5 by PAGUY from Perfect Low Fat Dessert! I made this today and it was fabulous and easy to make. Afterwards I experimented a little more. Use more spice for a more seasonal taste otherwise go east there. You can also adjust your berry mix and major on the ones you love the most. Also, the less blackberries and blueberries you use the less darkened and more red the sorbet will be. Add a bit more sweetener if you have a sweet tooth, otherwise the taste is rich, healthy and perfect. If you want smooth sorbet with some chunks of berries, add a few more right after your four mounds and blend about 20 seconds longer. Have fun.
Date published: 2016-06-07
Rated 5 out of 5 by Conner from Great Tasting I made this recipe in my Vita mix. Did not have all of the ingredients but still this ice cream tasted AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!
Date published: 2016-06-24
Rated 2 out of 5 by Grilling Sensations from Needs a little tweaking to your taste This recipe sounded fantastic and I think it can be if tweaked to your tastes. I found the quantity of ginger root and mint to be fairly overwhelming. Ginger root and mint can vary in potency so I would recommend adding it to taste as you go. Using the stock recipe I didn't taste much of the flavor of the berries. Texture and color were excellent. It needs at least 1 hour and preferably 2 to set up the portioned scoops.
Date published: 2017-08-02
Rated 4 out of 5 by Bond from Awesome I love this recipe. I agree about tweeking the ginger and mint. Otherwise, this is great treat for big and little kids.
Date published: 2018-06-07
Rated 5 out of 5 by Victoria D from Awesome sorbet!!! I have been getting to know this amazing machine and one of my favorite things to make is sorbet, I can’t believe in a minute what delicious dessert I can make!
Date published: 2018-04-29
Rated 4 out of 5 by Wendell from Great dessert but unclear re addition of ice cubes Recipe in Step 5 calls for addition of 'ice cubes' but doesn't state an amount. The same recipe in my Vitamix recipe book does not call for addition of ice cubes. Made it according to the recipe book and turned out fine. Used less ginger (1/2") and fresh from the garden mint as per other comments. According to final taste, could have used more ginger but the amount of mint (5 g) was about right.
Date published: 2017-08-04
Rated 5 out of 5 by cbrough from Excelent! Easy to mix and match whatever you have in the freezer and spice cabinet! I added extra ginger and a small piece of fresh turmeric root.
Date published: 2018-02-06
Rated 5 out of 5 by Yaniv from Great taste First time using the Vitamix and wasn't sure exactly how it should look and time wise, but it came out perfect. It has mix of wonderful taste from ginger to mint and all the other spices. Very good!
Date published: 2017-07-06