Black Bean Soup
A hearty black bean and chickpea soup with the full flavor of assorted bell peppers, jalapeño, scallions, and garlic.
- 3 cups (720 ml) low sodium vegetable broth
- 1½ cup (315 g) black beans, cooked, rinsed, drained
- 1½ cup (360 g) chickpeas, rinsed, drained
- ½ cup (80 g) onion, sautéed
- 3 garlic cloves, roasted
- 3 Tablespoons (45 ml) lime juice
- 1 jalapeño, seeded, quartered
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ cup (35 g) red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, diced
- Place broth, ¾ cup (155 g) beans, chickpeas, onion, garlic, lime juice, jalapeño pepper, and seasonings into the Vitamix container in the order listed and secure lid.
- Select the Hot Soups progream, or Variable 1.
- Turn machine on and allow the machine to complete the programmed setting, or slowly increase speed to High and blend for 6-7 minutes or until heavy steam escapes from the vented lid.
- Reduce speed to Variable 4 and remove the lid plug. Add peppers and reserved ¾ cup (155 g) beans through the lid plug opening.
- Blend for additional 10 seconds. Serve immediately.
|Serving Size||1 cup (240 ml)|
|Amount Per Servings|
|Total Fat||1 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||19 g|
|Dietary Fiber||5 g|
Black Bean Soup is rated out of 5 by 32.
Rated 4 out of 5 by BethLIC from Solid Soup! I made a few tweaks to this recipe, but overall I think it is a solid soup. I blended all of the chickpeas and tossed in all of the black beans whole. I also roasted all of the vegetables, and blended the pepper instead of tossing it in at the end. At the end I tossed in a few roasted corn kernels for some crunch and added a splash of my favorite chili sauce. This soup was flavorful and the texture was velvety. I would definitely make this again.
Date published: 2015-12-28
Rated 5 out of 5 by Vitamix1 from Yum! Honestly, for a blender made soup, I’m relatively impressed. I used water instead of chicken or vegetable broth & I sautéd both the onion and green pepper. I also used about a cup of onion (Vidalia) rather than a 1/2 cup + tossed in a handful of cherry tomatoes, added an extra roasted garlic clove, & used a heaping teaspoon and a half of cumin. Didn’t have jalapeño on hand, but don’t feel like soup is necessarily missing it - plus, I’m not a huge fan of spicy! Is it the best black bean soup I’ve ever had...probably not...but I certainly think it is tasty, healthy, and satisfying!
Date published: 2018-09-01
Rated 5 out of 5 by Kathe from Delicious! I didn't notice that it said to roast the garlic and sauté the onion when I saved this recipe. So glad I didn't, because that would have been too much work for what I wanted to be a simple soup. So with just those changes of raw garlic and onions, absolutely delicious and very simple.
Date published: 2017-03-03
Rated 5 out of 5 by Michael242 from Delicious soup! I sautéed the onions and the garlic and topped it with sour cream and scallions. I looooooved it. Very pleased with the outcome.
Date published: 2016-05-18
Rated 5 out of 5 by Elizabeth the First from Simple and Delicious This soup is great! It can be a little spicy (just don't add as many jalapenos). Overall it is very easy, very healthy, and reheats well.
Date published: 2016-01-03
Rated 4 out of 5 by Whitney from Simple and Flavorful This was a pretty easy and simple recipe. The Jalepeno gave it just enough zing. I thought it was a little heavy on the cumin. Next time I think I will add more black beans at the end for a thicker soup, some grilled chicken would be a nice addition as well.
Date published: 2016-03-09
Rated 5 out of 5 by Jami from LOVE it I LOVE it! I'm a diabetic and this is a great, healthy option for me. I roasted the peppers, garlic and sweet onions. Added 1/2 a baked chicken breast and some plain non-fat greek yogurt - both to add the protein I need. Didn't have a hot pepper, so I added some verde sauce instead and a bit of Chili- Lime seasoning. this will be a staple for me!
Date published: 2017-01-22
Rated 5 out of 5 by MUG65 from Fantastic Soup! Doing a cleanse and we topped off the final day with this (instead of another green smoothie). It was so savory and good! I think I might keep a few jalapeno seeds next time to spice it up. Also, it is super thick so might play with a little more veggie broth or straight water. So good!!
Date published: 2018-01-06