Like traditional hummus, this recipe includes chickpeas but also uses cauliflower to add to the creaminess.
- 6 cups (600 g) cauliflower, trimmed florets
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, optional, for roasting
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 small lemons, peeled, halved
- 2 (908 g) 16 oz. canned chickpeas, drained, ½ cup liquid reserved
- ½ cup (70 g) sesame seeds, or Tahini
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds, or ground cumin
- Preheat oven to 450°F (230°C). Line a baking tray with parchment paper and set aside. Toss cauliflower florets with olive oil, curry powder, and pepper. Spread in an even layer on a parchment-lined baking tray and roast for 20 minutes or until tender.
- With a peeler or paring knife, remove the peel and white pith from the lemons, leaving just the flesh.
- Place lemons, chickpeas and liquid, sesame seeds, garlic, cumin, and roasted cauliflower into the Vitamix container in the order listed and secure the lid.
- Start the blender on its lowest speed, then quickly increase to its highest speed. Blend for 1 minute, using the tamper to press ingredients toward the blades.
- Lightly toasting your sesame seeds in a pan or on the stovetop before blending is a great way to add extra flavor to your hummus. Since this will make a bolder hummus, an equal amount of tahini can be substituted if desired.
- Try using whole, fresh citrus fruit instead of processed bottle juices. Fresh fruit gives a healthy burst of flavor (and whole food benefits). Try using a peel or two of zest to balance the flavors of your recipe.
- The liquid from the chickpeas is called aquafaba. This is a great ingredient that can be used to replace olive oil in some recipes as a liquid, or even whipped into a foam.
|Serving Size||1 serving (37 g)|
|Amount Per Servings|
|Total Fat||4 g|
|Saturated Fat||0.5 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||5 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|
Cauliflower Hummus is rated out of 5 by 11.
Rated 5 out of 5 by VitamixRocks from Best Hummus EVER! This recipe is easy and the flavor is AMAZING! The total time on the recipe says 5 minutes, but it's really longer than that because you have to roast the cauliflower (20 mins). I ended up substituting (unsalted) shelled sunflower seeds instead of the sesame seeds because I was out of sesame seeds. It was so delicious and creamy, I think I'll keep using the sunflower seeds in the future!
Date published: 2019-08-25
Rated 5 out of 5 by Mtn Girl Joy from What a great idea!!! Yummy and simple. I use fresh beans instead of canned ones. I grew up always using fresh beans. A little more time, but worth it to me.
Date published: 2015-09-24
Rated 4 out of 5 by MamaMia from Needed some more liquid Love the taste, but it was a little too thick and wouldn't process in the Vitamix. I added some more olive oil. I may add the liquid from the beans the next time to see how that works.
Date published: 2015-10-05
Rated 2 out of 5 by Monica A from Not smooth and creamy I have an assent lender. I too had a problem with getting the smooth creamy consistency. I too added more olive oil but that did not seem to help. I’m not sure if I want to put the garbanzo bean water in the mixture. I wonder what else I could add to thin the mixture down. It made up quite a bit so I’m freezing half of it in a air tight container.
Date published: 2020-05-21
Rated 5 out of 5 by Deborah J from The best! I loved the fact that you did not need to use tahini. It made enough for me to share and was very easy.
Date published: 2015-10-15
Rated 5 out of 5 by Cindy J from Best Hummus Excellent!!! Wouldn't change a thing. This recipe turned me into a Hummus lover. Before making this, I was never a fan.
Date published: 2020-01-19
Rated 1 out of 5 by Souplover from Something's not right I used the C series 64 oz container and it stops blending on number 4, and tampering down does not help. I also added about 2 more tablespoons of liquid to see if that would help and it didn't. The flavor is good, but not the texture I was hoping for, since using high is not an option on this recipe. Good for flavor, bad for performance.
Date published: 2016-03-08
Rated 5 out of 5 by MyNicknameisBob from Deeeeeeeelicious Eat it with pita chips. Deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelicious.
Date published: 2015-09-27