Eggplant Cannelloni with Pine Nut Romesco Sauce
This vegan version of the classic Italian dish wraps a flavorful quinoa and vegetable blend in tender slices of baked eggplant.
- 2 eggplants, peeled, sliced lengthwise ½-inch (1.5 cm) thick
- 2 red bell peppers, stemmed, seeded, diced
- ½ cup (80 g) medium onion, peeled
- 1 cup (120 g) carrots, halved
- ½ cup (55 g) celery, diced
- 2 small garlic cloves, peeled
- 8 ounces (225 g) baby spinach
- 1 teaspoon no-salt Italian seasoning blend
- 1 cup (185 g) quinoa, cooked
- 2 cups (480 ml) low-sodium pasta sauce
- 6 ounces (170 g) non-dairy Mozzarella-type cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Arrange eggplant in a single layer on a nonstick baking sheet.
- Bake about 20 minutes or until eggplant is flexible enough to roll up easily. Set aside.
- Heat 2 Tablespoons water in a large pan. Add bell pepper, onion, celery, and garlic.
- Sauté until just tender, adding more water if needed.
- Add spinach and Italian seasoning and cook until spinach is wilted. Add cooked quinoa.
- Transfer to a mixing bowl.
- Mix in 2-3 Tablespoons pasta sauce and all of the shredded cheese.
- Spread about ¼ cup (60ml) of the pasta sauce in a baking dish.
- Put some of the vegetable mixture on each eggplant slice, roll up and place in dish. Pour remaining sauce over the eggplant rolls.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until heated through.
Pine Nut Romesco Sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- ½ cup (170 g) roasted red pepper
- 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) water
- 2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ancho chili powder
- 2 Tablespoons pine nuts
- ½ cup (100 g) tomato, quartered
- 2 Tablespoons nutritional yeast
- To make romesco sauce, place garlic, red peppers, water, vinegar, chili powder, pine nuts, tomato and yeast into the Vitamix container and secure lid.
- Select Variable 1.
- Turn machine on and slowly increase speed to Variable 2 or 3.
- Blend for 15 to 20 seconds or until chunky, using the tamper to press the ingredients into the blades.
- Serve eggplant topped with romesco sauce.
Mediterranean pine nuts are best.
|Serving Size||1 serving|
|Amount Per Servings|