Eggplant Cannelloni with Pine Nut Romesco Sauce
This vegan version of the classic Italian dish wraps a flavorful quinoa and vegetable blend in tender slices of baked eggplant.
- 2 eggplants, peeled, sliced lengthwise ½-inch (1.5 cm) thick
- 2 medium (280 g) red bell pepper, seeded, chopped
- 1 medium (120 g) onion, peeled, chopped
- 1 (130 g) carrot, chopped
- ½ (50 g) celery stalk, chopped
- 4 small garlic cloves, chopped
- 7 cups (225 g) baby spinach
- 1 teaspoon no-salt Italian seasoning blend
- 1 cup (185 g) quinoa, cooked
- 2 cups (480 ml) no-salt added tomato sauce
- 1 cup (150 g) non-dairy Mozzarella-type cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Arrange eggplant in a single layer on a nonstick baking sheet.
- Bake about 20 minutes or until eggplant is flexible enough to roll up easily. Set aside.
- Heat 2 Tablespoons water in a large pan. Add bell pepper, onion, celery, and garlic.
- Sauté until just tender, adding more water if needed.
- Add spinach and Italian seasoning and cook until spinach is wilted. Add cooked quinoa.
- Transfer to a mixing bowl.
- Mix in 2-3 Tablespoons pasta sauce and all of the shredded cheese.
- Spread about ¼ cup (60ml) of the pasta sauce in a baking dish.
- Put some of the vegetable mixture on each eggplant slice, roll up and place in dish. Pour remaining sauce over the eggplant rolls.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until heated through.
Pine Nut Romesco Sauce
- 2 small garlic cloves
- 1 (70 g) roasted red bell pepper, seeded
- 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) water
- 2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ancho chili powder
- 2 Tablespoons pine nuts
- ½ medium (60 g) tomato
- 2 Tablespoons nutritional yeast
- To make romesco sauce, place garlic, red peppers, water, vinegar, chili powder, pine nuts, tomato and yeast into the Vitamix container and secure the lid.
- Start the blender on its lowest speed, then quickly increase to Variable 2, using the tamper to press ingredients toward the blades.
- Blend for 15 to 20 seconds or until chunky, using the tamper to press the ingredients into the blades.
- Serve eggplant topped with romesco sauce.
Mediterranean pine nuts are best.
|Serving Size||1 serving (515 g)|
|Amount Per Servings|