A budget-friendly blend of kale and spinach create this vibrant pesto and a delicious serving of leafy greens.
- 4 cups (270 g) kale, chopped
- ½ cup (120 ml) olive oil
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup (60 g) roasted red pepper
- 2 small garlic cloves, roasted
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 Tablespoons pepitas, toasted
- ½ cup (15 g) spinach
- ¼ teaspoon salt, optional
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a large pot of salted, boiling water, blanch 4 cups (270g) of kale for 4 minutes.
- Shock in a bowl filled with ice and water; strain. Once water has drained away, press out as much water as possible, leaving ½ cup (35g) of blanched kale.
- Place all ingredients into the Vitamix container in the order listed and secure lid.
- Select Variable 7.
- Using the On/Off switch to quickly pulse 15-20 times, using the tamper to press the ingredients into the blades.
Serve over pasta, or with bruschetta and flatbread as a dip.
|Serving Size||¼ cup (60 ml)|
|Amount Per Servings|
|Total Fat||25 g|
|Saturated Fat||3.5 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||9 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|
Kale Pesto is rated out of 5 by 2.
Rated 5 out of 5 by Jean T from A new take! I have to admit I was a little skeptical about some of the ingredients on this list. I've been making pesto for a long time, and have always stuck with a very basic recipe. I didn't even have basil to add to this and it still came out very refreshing and perfect for pasta. The fresh lemon goes a long way- don't skimp with the bottled stuff if you can! The Vitamix handled the low-liquid content like a champ, and with some help from the tamper, I had it blended to a perfect pesto consistency very quickly. You will need a rubber spatula to get all of the pesto-y goodness out of the blender before beginning self-wash, but who wants to miss out on any pesto anyway?
Date published: 2020-06-05
Rated 5 out of 5 by Monica_nyc from Supe fresh and delicious!!! This sauce is amazing and so good! Recipe is easy and still great with improvisation! I substituted unroasted pine nuts for the pepitas and used all fresh ingredients, including fresh rosemary, roasted and peeled my own red bell pepper and garlic. (I decided to add 5 leaves of basil but the end result proved unnecessary as there was little trace of it.) Steamed rather than boiled the kale for 4 minutes. Tastes like a smooth pesto, very bright and fresh -not strong at all. Super delicious. I will forever make this now!
Date published: 2019-12-23