Sweet Potato Soup with Seared Tomatillos
Seared tomatillos top a hearty purée of sweet potatoes with the warm flavors of cinnamon and poblano peppers in this soup, perfect for a cold day.
Sweet Potato Soup
- ¼ cup (60 ml) grapeseed oil
- 1 pound (455 g) smoked pork bones
- 1 pound (455 g) onions, peeled, diced
- 1 jalapeño, seeded
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 4 ounces (115 g) Poblano peppers, stemmed, seeded, diced
- 1 Tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 cup (240 ml) dry white wine
- 2 pounds (900 g) sweet potatoes, peeled, cubed
- 7 cups (1.7 l) low sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt, optional
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Add oil to a medium-hot large stockpot, add the smoked pork bones and render for 3 minutes. Add the onions, jalapeño, bay leaves, cinnamon stick, garlic, and poblanos and sweat for 5 minutes.
- Add the coriander and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add the wine and reduce by two-thirds. Add potatoes, broth, salt and pepepr and bring to a boil. Simmer for 25-30 minutes until potatoes are very tender.
- Remove bay leaves, cinnamon stick and pork bones. Set aside pork bones.
- Let soup cool for 30 minutes.
- Add half the mixture to the Vitamix container and secure lid.
- Select Variable 1.
- Turn machine on and slowly increase to the highest speed.
- Blend for 20 seconds until all ingredients are blended. Repeat with remaining mixture. If necessary, return to pot to heat.
- 1½ pound (680 g) tomatillos, peeled, quartered
- 2 Tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 2 jalapeños, seeded
- 2 Tablespoons lime juice
- 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 cup (40 g) fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat a sauté pan until very hot. Toss the tomatillos with the oil, season with salt and pepper. Add to the pan and sear. Do not toss too much as you want to keep the pan hot. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add the jalapeños and cook for 30 seconds. Add the lime juice and sugar, cooking an additional 3 minutes. Remove to a plate for garnish.
|Serving Size||1 cup (240 ml)|
|Amount Per Servings|
|Total Fat||16 g|
|Saturated Fat||3.5 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||56 g|
|Dietary Fiber||9 g|
Sweet Potato Soup with Seared Tomatillos is rated out of 5 by 1.
Rated 5 out of 5 by Souplover from Great flavors! The complexity of flavors in this soup blend so nicely, especially the tartness of the tomatillos on top of the sweetness of the potatoes. This is my go to soup!
Date published: 2016-05-26