Tuscan Tomato White Bean Soup
Puréed to perfection, white beans lend creaminess to this soup, which is best enjoyed with homemade croutons.
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- ½ (60 g) small onion, peeled, halved
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 pounds (900 g) Roma tomatoes, quartered
- 2 cans (850 g) white beans, drained
- 4 cups (1¼ l) vegetable broth
- 1 cup (240 ml) water
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 1 teaspoon rosemary leaves, chopped
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 cups (115 g) Ciabatta bread, cubed
- ½ cup (55 g) Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Heat 1 Tablespoon of the oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion, garlic, and a pinch of salt.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes, beans, broth, water, rosemary sprig, and red pepper flakes.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Discard the rosemary sprig.
- Working in batches, carefully ladle the stovetop soup into the Vitamix container and secure lid.
- Select Variable 1.
- Turn machine on and slowly increase speed to Variable 10, then to High.
- Blend for 20 seconds or until desired consistency is reached.
- Pour into a pot to keep warm. Repeat with leftover soup from the stovetop.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Place the bread cubes on a baking sheet, drizzle with remaining olive oil, and sprinkle with chopped rosemary and shredded mozzarella.
- Bake until croutons are golden brown, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Top each bowl of soup with the croutons and serve.
|Serving Size||1 cup (240 ml)|
|Amount Per Servings|
|Total Fat||7 g|
|Saturated Fat||1.5 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||35 g|
|Dietary Fiber||9 g|
Tuscan Tomato White Bean Soup is rated out of 5 by 18.
Rated 5 out of 5 by Tayj from Creamy tomato soup, without the cream! Delicious! I made it without adding the ciabatta or mozzarella, instead serving it with a vegan grilled cheese on homemade white bread, with a rocket and apple side salad. I also, removed some of the beans before blending for added texture. My boyfriend, who "doesn't like tomato soup" loved it and asked for the same dinner the following night. Which is good because we have soooo many leftovers, I would suggest halving the recipe.
Date published: 2018-10-02
Rated 4 out of 5 by Kate1212 from Delicious with room to add more! I added in a full zucchini and a handful of kale for some added nutrition. I also doubled the red pepper flakes and topped with a little extra mozzarella cheese for some color and additional flavor
Date published: 2016-01-04
Rated 5 out of 5 by Meredith from Very creamy without any cream! This was full of flavor and very creamy. I used canned diced tomatoes and added a palm full of cashews.
Date published: 2016-02-27
Rated 5 out of 5 by Donna Mae from Great for processing garden produce we use this every fall to make great soups with fresh produce from our garden with very little scraps.
Date published: 2016-08-12
Rated 5 out of 5 by duggerdoo from Tuscan tomato white bean soup We make this soup at least once a week, and my kids love it!!!
Date published: 2015-12-02
Rated 5 out of 5 by MissLea from Great soup! We really enjoyed this soup! We put only 1 garlic clove and found it very tasty. We will do this recipe again, thank you!
Date published: 2016-01-05
Rated 5 out of 5 by megligweb from Tasty! We made last night for our family of 4...lots left over! Delicious!
Date published: 2015-11-30
Rated 5 out of 5 by Sbhull514 from Delish Recipe turns out great really easy to prepare and very healthy. We added a little celery and garnished with cracked pepper and croutons.
Date published: 2016-08-01