Whole Wheat Bread
Hearty and healthy, this bread will be a staple for your favorite sandwiches, or enjoyed with homemade butter.
- 1¼ cup (300 ml) warm water
- 1 active dry yeast
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 1¾ cup (350 g) whole kernel wheat, or 2½ cups / 300g whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon light olive oil, or grapeseed oil (optional)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Combine yeast, honey, and 1 1/4 cups (300 ml) warm water and set aside to proof, about 5 minutes.
- When starting with whole kernel wheat: Place wheat, and if desired, salt into the Vitamix Dry Grains Container and secure lid. Select Variable 1. Turn machine on and slowly increase speed to Variable 10, then to High. Grind wheat for 1 minute. (Do not over process) Stop the machine and allow the flour to cool for a few minutes.
- When starting with whole wheat flour: Place flour and, if desired, salt into the Vitamix Dry Grains or Standard Container and secure lid.
- Select Variable 1.
- Turn machine on and slowly increase speed to Variable 6. Blend until a hole forms in the center of the mixture, about 5 seconds. Turn machine off and remove the lid.
- Pour oil, lemon juice, and yeast mixture into the hole in the flour. Secure the lid.
- To mix the dough, turn the machine on High for 1 second. Stop the machine. Remove lid.
- While the dough rests, lightly coat a loaf pan with vegetable cooking spray or shortening.
- To knead dough, two steps are required:
- Step 1: Use a nylon spatula to scrape the sides of the container. Pull the dough away from the container sides and into the center of the mixture.
- Step 2: With the switch on High, quickly turn the machine on and off five times.
- Repeat the above two-step process five times, or until the dough binds together in a soft elastic mixture.
- To remove the dough from the container, turn the machine on and off five times (to lift the dough up and away from the blades). Invert the container over the prepared pan and let the dough fall into the pan. Use a wet nylon spatula to remove any remaining dough.
- Use a wet (or oiled) nylon spatula to shape the loaf. Allow the dough to rise until the top of it reaches the top of the pan, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Bake at 350˚F for 35 minutes. Makes one loaf.
|Serving Size||1 slice|
|Amount Per Servings|
Whole Wheat Bread is rated out of 5 by 5.
Rated 5 out of 5 by motherof4 from Delicious and Light I have to admit I had my doubts when I mixed the dough. I measured by weight, not volume, and the dough seemed too wet. Instead of pouring it into the loaf pan I poured it onto a floured surface and worked the flour into the dough until it wouldn't take anymore (maybe 10g max). Then I formed it and set it in the loaf pan and followed the rest of the directions. It took a while longer to proof than the recipe shows, but it worked and is delicious, light and just right for sandwiches. I highly recommend you try this recipe! (Note: I used white whole wheat flour from King Arthur.)
Date published: 2016-05-12
Rated 5 out of 5 by Ramona8 from Easy whole grain recipe I started with whole hard white wheat berries and measured by weight, and this worked perfectly, twice! It's surprisingly light and airy, with a nice spongy bite. It is super wet but just trust the recipe, it's weird and specifically for a high speed blender.
Date published: 2017-10-22
Rated 5 out of 5 by Adickens from Love it! I love using my Vitamix to make bread. I’ve used various methods to make bread, and this is so easy. Quality does not suffer either. I make bread during the week, after work, and love this. The dough will be wetter, just wet your hands with water and wet dough is easy to handle. I need to touch my dough and shape the loaf with hands. I love, love my Vitamix!
Date published: 2017-11-12
Rated 5 out of 5 by Uncle T from Easy Tasty Bread We'd been wanting to make bread with fresh ground wheat and finally got around to buying some wheat berries yesterday. I followed the recipe to the letter and the end result was great. In less than an hour we had warm tasty bread with zero additives. It was light with a nice crumb. I toasted a slice and that gave it a nice slightly nutty flavor. We'll be keeping plenty of wheat on hand from now on.
Date published: 2017-11-27
Rated 5 out of 5 by Nozha from Great I m so happy with my vitamix It is the best blender
Date published: 2018-12-07