Chilled Cucumber Soup with Shrimp & Dill
A refreshing, chilled soup infused with a bold shrimp flavor. Pairs well with your favorite seafood dish.
- 4 cups (960 ml) vegetable broth
- ¾ pound (340 g) shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 Tablespoons (28 g) butter
- 1 cup (130 g) diced yellow onion
- ¾ cup (90 g) diced celery stalk
- 6 medium cucumbers, peeled, quartered
- 2 teaspoons salt, optional
- ½ teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1½ teaspoon cornstarch, dissolved in 2 teaspoons water
- 1½ cup (360 g) sour cream
- ½ cup (120 ml) heavy cream
- ½ cup (20 g) dill, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- Heat the broth in a large stockpot until simmering. Add the shrimp and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or just until they turn opaque. Remove the shrimp from the broth, cut in half lengthwise, refrigerate, and reserve for garnish. Reserve the broth.
- Heat the butter in a soup pot over medium heat. Add the onions and celery stalk and sauté, stirring frequently, until the onions are translucent, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add the reserved broth and the cucumbers. Add 1 teaspoon of salt, optional and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat so that the soup simmers gently. Simmer until the cucumbers are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Remove the soup pot from the heat and let it cool slightly. Add some of the soup to the Vitamix container, making sure not to overfill. Secure the lid.
- Start the blender on its lowest speed, then quickly increase to its highest speed.
- Blend for 1 minute. Add puréed soup to a clean pot. Repeat process until all the soup is puréed.
- Return the soup to medium heat and bring to a simmer. Stir in dissolved cornstarch and simmer, stirring constantly, until thickened, about 2 minutes.
- Chill soup at least 4 hours and up to 24 hours.
- Combine the sour cream, heavy cream, dill, fresh lemon juice, and Tabasco sauce in a small bowl and stir until evenly blended.
- Whisk the sour cream mixture into the chilled soup. Taste and adjust the seasoning with the remaining salt, optional and pepper. Add additional fresh lemon juice or Tabasco sauce if desired.
Serve the soup in chilled cups garnished with the reserved shrimp and diced cucumbers. Top with a dill sprig.
|Serving Size||8 servings|
|Amount Per Servings|
|Total Fat||17 g|
|Saturated Fat||11 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||11 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|