Beef, Vegetable & Manchego Empanadas
Our simple empanada recipe is baked, not fried, for a healthier version of this classic Spanish dish.
- 2 Tablespoons white vinegar
- 80 ml (⅓ cup) water
- 1 large egg
- 110 g (½ cup) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 3 g (1 teaspoon) salt, optional
- 335 g (2¾ cup) plain flour
- Place the flour, salt, and butter into the Vitamix container in the order listed and secure lid.
- Select Variable 1.
- Start machine, slowly increase to Variable 4.
- Blend for 10 seconds, using the tamper to press the ingredients into the blades.
- Transfer flour mixture to a bowl and set aside.
- Place egg, water, and vinegar into the Vitamix container.
- Select Variable 1.
- Start machine and slowly increase to Variable 4.
- Blend for 10 seconds.
- Pour wet mixture over top of flour mixture in bowl and stir to incorporate.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface and knead for 3 to 4 minutes. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Roll dough to ¼-cm (⅛-inch) thickness.
- Cut out 12-cm (5-inch) rounds.
- 3 carrots, halved
- 65 g (½ ) medium onion, halved
- 115 g (¾ cup) Manchego cheese, cubed
- 455 g (1 pound) ground beef, uncooked
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons chilli powder
- 2 teaspoons salt and pepper
- egg wash, for sealing and glazing
- Select Variable 7.
- Start machine and remove lid plug. Drop carrot pieces one at a time through the lid plug opening, followed by the onion. If needed, use the tamper to press the ingredients into the blades.
- Chop only until carrots and onions are of a uniform consistency. Do not overprocess or puréeing will occur.
- Repeat the process with the Manchego cheese.
- In a large non-stick skillet, heat olive oil.
- Add the carrot mixture, ground beef, smoked paprika, chilli powder, salt, and pepper. Cook until ground beef is cooked through.
- Strain off the excess fat and cool.
- Stir in the chopped Manchego cheese.
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Fill each dough round with 1 to 2 teaspoons of filling.
- Brush around the filling with egg wash and fold the dough over in half. Press with the tines of a fork to remove any air pockets.
- Brush tops with egg wash. Place on prepared tray.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
|Serving Size||1 Serving|
|Amount Per Servings|
Beef, Vegetable & Manchego Empanadas is rated out of 5 by 1.
Rated 5 out of 5 by iashar from So good I actually only used this recipe for the empanada dough as I had already made preparations for a mushroom and gouda filling. The dough was exceptional. Great consistency, the vinegar gave it such a lovely taste that you couldn't exactly pinpoint with the savory mushroom/cheese filling. I opted to fry the empanadas so this review is based on that cooking method. The dough stayed intact and the contents held up well with this empanada dough. I will definitely use again.
Date published: 2019-10-25