Chocolate Sandwich with Matcha Ice Cream
This ice cream sandwich is easy to make, and refreshing on a hot day. The matcha adds a nice savory note to this sweet dessert.
- 125 g (1 cup) plain flour
- 25 g (¼ cup) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 50 g (¼ cup) caster sugar, or Date Syrup to taste
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 115 g (½ cup) cubed butter, chilled
- 1 large egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla essence
- Add flour, sugar, cocoa, salt, and butter to the Vitamix container in the order listed and secure the lid.
- Select Variable 1 and start the machine. Blend for 5 to 20 seconds, or until the mixture resembles wet sand.
- Stop the machine, remove the lid and scrape the sides of the container.
- Add the egg and vanilla extract and secure the lid.
- Select Variable 1 and start the machine. Slowly increase speed to Variable 4 and blend for 20 to 25 seconds, or until the mixture looks wet and combined (like crumbly dough.)
- Remove the dough to a lightly floured work surface and roll out into a rectangle, about 1/8” thick (3.2 mm.)
- Cut the dough into rectangular cookies and place on a lined baking sheet (or, place dough into an ice cream sandwich cookie mold).
- Bake the cookies at 350°F (175°C) for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool completely.
Matcha Ice Cream
- 480 ml (2 cups) double cream
- 1 teaspoon matcha green tea powder
- 2 egg yolks
- 200 g (1 cup) caster sugar
- 260 g (2 cups) ice cubes
- Next, place the heavy cream, matcha powder, egg yolks, and sugar into the container and secure the lid.
- Select Variable 1. Start the machine, slowly increase to its highest speed, and blend for 3 minutes. The mixture will thicken after about 45 seconds of blending, so insert your tamper and push the ingredients into the blades until it thins out again.
- Remove the ice cream base to a bowl, and freeze for at least one hour, or until the temperature of the mixture has lowered to 40°F (4°C.)
- Once cooled, place the mixture into the container with the ice. Select Variable 1 or the Frozen Desserts program.
- Start the machine, slowly increase to its highest speed, and blend for 55 seconds; or start the machine and allow the Frozen Desserts program to complete.
- Place the mixture back into the bowl, and into the freezer for at least 2 hours, or overnight until the ice cream is can be easily scooped.
- Scoop 2 ounces (60 g) of the ice cream onto a cookie, then top with another cookie. Place back in the freezer until ready to eat.
|Serving Size||1 ice cream sandwich|
|Amount Per Servings|