Never have a lumpy mashed potato again! Create this creamy crowd favorite in your blender for an easy side dish.
- 820 g (2 pounds) small russet potatoes, whole skin on
- 150 g (⅔ cup) unsalted butter
- 240 ml (1 cup) milk
- 10 g + 30 g (2 teaspoons + ¼ cup) Maldon salt, divided
- Place the potatoes in a large pot and cover with cold water. Add 30g (¼ cup) of salt, and place over medium heat. Simmer until fork tender, about an hour and 15 minutes (do not boil, or the potatoes will fall apart and get water logged.)
- While the potatoes are cooking, combine butter, milk and remaining salt in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cook until the butter is completely melted, then set aside.
- Once potatoes are fork tender, strain and peel using a dry kitchen towel or a paring knife. Break the potatoes into small pieces, about 2.5cm (1 inch).
- In the Vitamix container, add the milk mixture first followed by the potatoes. Secure the lid.
- Select Variable 3 and begin to pulse. Remove the lid plug and insert the tamper, using it to push ingredients down into the blades. Pulse 18-20 times, or until the mixture is smooth (be careful not to over mix, or the potatoes will get gummy and starchy.)
- Serve warm.
With this mashed potato recipe be sure to use russet potatoes only, as other potatoes have higher starch content and may get gummy. Top your mashed potatoes with some black pepper or chives to your liking. Make sure you used russet (idaho) potatoes for this recipe. These potatoes are mealy and will blend easier and not create as gummy of a potato as waxy potatoes will. Examples of waxy potatoes are Yukon gold and red potatoes. To pulse on a 5200 machine, select Variable 3, use the on/off switch to quickly start the machine and shut it off. A simple trick to hold mashed potatoes is to place them in cling wrap and seal them tightly, holding them in a warm place until ready to serve.
|Serving Size||120 ml (½ cup)|
|Amount Per Servings|
Due to inactivity, your session has timed out and is no longer active.Reload the page