Partan Bree (Scottish Crab Soup)
You’ll be sure to get rave reviews when you make this creamy, restaurant-quality soup at home.
- 200 g (1 ) dressed crab
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled, diced
- 100 g (1 stalk) celery, diced
- ½ fennel bulb, finely sliced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 sprigs of thyme
- 5 whole black peppercorns
- ¼ teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 Tablespoon tomato purée
- 1 l (4 cups) fish stock
- 1 Tablespoon orange zest
- 120 ml (½ cup) milk
- 3 fresh dill sprigs, plus extra for garnish
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 3 g (1 teaspoon) salt, optional
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 50 g (¼ cup) basmati rice
- Separate the white and brown crab meat from the shell and carefully crush the shell into smaller pieces.
- In a heavy bottomed stock pot, heat the oil over medium heat and add the shells. Cook for 5 minutes stirring occasionally. Add the onions, fennel, celery, carrot and garlic and sweat until tender. Add the bay leaf, thyme,peppercorns, coriander and rice and cook for an additional minute. Add the tomato puree, stir and cook for another minute and then add the stock. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer. Add the orange zest andbrown crab and simmer for an hour.
- Add the milk and cook for an additional 10 minutes. Add dill stalks and remove from heat. Allow to cool slightly and carefully add the mixture to the Vitamix container and secure the lid. Select Variable 1, start the machine and slowly increase to its highest speed. Blend for 1 minute. When the soup is finished, carefully strain through a fine mesh strainer. Taste and adjust the seasoning to your liking.
- In a small bowl, place the white crab meat, lemon juice, zest, hot sauce, salt and pepper. Mix to combine. Pour soup into 4 bowls and evenly and serve with rice.
Substitute 200g of canned crab meat if you cannot find a dressed crab.
|Serving Size||1 serving|
|Amount Per Servings|