Roasted Root Vegetable Soup
Cold days call for a soup that showcases seasonal produce. Vegetables such as turnips, carrots, and celery combine with fresh ginger for a warm and filling soup that's full of texture and flavor.
- 180 g (2 ) medium carrots, cut into 1" chunks
- 120 g (1 ) medium turnip, or parsnip, rutabaga, cut into 1" chunks
- 110 g (1 ) small yellow onion, peeled, cut into 1" chunks
- 70 g (1 ) celery stalk, cut into 1" chunks
- 10 g (½ ) jalapeño, stemmed
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 5 g (1 piece) fresh ginger root, ¼" slice
- ½ teaspoon Maldon salt, optional
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 30 ml (2 Tablespoons) extra virgin olive oil, optional
- 720 ml (3 cups) vegetable stock
- 120 g (2 ) medium roma tomatoes, halved
- 50 g (3 cups) kale, stemmed, roughly chopped
- 10 g (½ bunch) fresh coriander leaves, leaves only
- 225 g (1 (16oz.) can) garbanzo beans, drained, rinsed, divided use
- Preheat oven to 220°C (425°F).
- Combine carrot, turnip, onion, celery, jalapeno, garlic, Winter Spice Seasoning, and oil together in a mixing bowl and toss to coat.
- Spread out evenly on a foil lined sheet tray and bake 30-40 minutes. Once roasted, reserve 1 cup and set aside.
- Place stock, remaining roasted vegetables, salt and pepper, ½ can of hominy into the Vitamix container and secure lid.
- Select Variable 1 or the Hot Soup program.
- Start the machine, slowly increase to its highest speed, blend for 5 minutes 45 seconds or allow machine to complete programmed cycle.
- Remove lid and add tomatoes, kale, cilantro, remaining ½ can hominy and 1 cup roasted vegetables to the container. Secure the lid.
- Select Variable 1.
- Start the machine and blend for an additional 5 seconds to incorporate.
Chickpeas can be used in place of hominy, if desired.
|Serving Size||342 g (1 serving)|
|Amount Per Servings|
|Total Fat||9 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||29 g|
|Dietary Fiber||8 g|